Racing W42

More
10 years 3 months ago #920 by Jim Allaway
Racing W42 was created by Jim Allaway
I'm interested in hearing from all of you who have raced your W42s in salt and fresh water and what results you've gotten. From what I understand, no W42 has raced on Lake Michigan (until this year). I'm not sure about W42 racing on the other Great Lakes. I believe W42s race in SanDiego (at least there is a PHRF listing for W42 which originates in SanDiego).

While we didn't buy our W42 to race, we entered our 1981 W42 BS (#214) in the Queen's Cup race (www.ssyc.org/index.php/queens-cup) from Milwaukee to Muskegon this year in the new non-spinnaker "Cruising" division and we and WON this division! Of 184 boats entered in 4 divisions (9 PHRF groupings), 177 were monohulls and Next Horizon placed #4 in those 177 monohulls on corrected time. Our non-spinnaker PHRF handicap for Lake Michigan racing is 174, base PHRF is 163. I race in club races on a Beneteau 37.5 first but this year, our race crew wanted to take our boat: beam reach in 20-30kn winds, with seas building to 18ft. This is Whitby 42 territory!! and the results prove that not only do all of us own one of the finest cruising boats available, but, when push comes to whatever, we can hold our own with some mighty fantastic race boats! Incidentally, we would have been first in our PHRF racing division as well!

Please let me hear from you W42 racers!

Jim

"Next Horizon"
1981 W42 BS (#214)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #922 by Deborah Streeter
Replied by Deborah Streeter on topic Re:Racing W42
CONGRATULATIONS!
Just taking a look at some of these boats, it's very impressive! List of Boats entered.
Having done the Queen's Cup, although not with our W42, we know who and what you were up against. Good show!

Free N Clear
Whitby 42, #70

More
10 years 3 months ago #923 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Re:Racing W42
Congratulations! Sounds like fun - need crew? :) We have not raced our Whitby but would be intersted in trying some day. Keep us posted on your efforts! I heard through the grapevine that a Whitby won the Mills Race on Lake Erie a few years back.

More
10 years 2 months ago #941 by john bozeman
Replied by john bozeman on topic Re:Racing W42
Congratulations,I too have won some pretty competative local races, in light wind, putting up all the fabric I could . Lots of fun passing those racing boats.My G.Y.A. phrf is 198.
must be different on the gulf coast,hopefully I get to keep it.It's like racing a house against pup tent.
Don't win too many ,my rating may be contested.
john (ORCA) 1975 Whitby, Orange Bch Al
Attachments:

More
10 years 2 months ago #944 by Jim Allaway
Replied by Jim Allaway on topic Re:Racing W42
Scott (Joie de Vivre), yes, you are absolutely right: a W42 named "Honey" of North Cape Y.C.(also in Toledo, OH) won the Mills Trophy race in 1982.

John (Orca), wow, I'd be tempted to sail down to Alabama simply to take advantage of a PHRF = 198!! Keep on racing!

Jim (Next Horizon, 1981 W42 BS, #214)

More
10 years 2 months ago #949 by Deborah Streeter
Replied by Deborah Streeter on topic Re: Racing W42
Talked w/ another boat in the cruising class of the Queen's Cup this year... asked him if he had seen the Whitby racing... he said 'yes, at the start...' and then you passed them by!

Free N Clear
Whitby 42, #70

More
10 years 2 months ago #980 by Greg Wright
Replied by Greg Wright on topic Re: Racing W42
We raced in the Mackinac to Manitoulin Race with our 42. Most of the race was downwind and we did it white sail. Dead down she is a struggle but if you can get her off the wind she's a horse. She taught us a lot on the overnight run. www.lcyc.ca/macman-race

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds