Inspecting and Repacking Life rafts

More
10 years 3 months ago #916 by Randy Robinson
Inspecting and Repacking Life rafts was created by Randy Robinson
Hello friends,

Can anyone recommend a company in the Annapolis area which inspects and repacks life rafts?

thanks, Diane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #954 by John Meskauskas
Replied by John Meskauskas on topic Re:Inspecting and Repacking Life rafts
Hey, Diane,
The only people I know who pack liferafts are the Paxton company in the Norfolk area.

However, they will only re-pack liferafts ten or less years old. The question is- how complicated is this process and can one do it oneself? A friend with a lot of bluewater experience says to open it, take pictures or draw every aspect of the assembly, inspect it, inflate it, let it sit for several days. If it doesn't leak and the material and seams look good, why not pack it again and use it? This advice sounds like a practical solution to me- I will probably try it this fall.

And, anyone who does it- please post your results on this site!!!

John Meskauskas on Laume II- Hull #2

More
10 years 2 months ago #967 by Roland Gilbert
Replied by Roland Gilbert on topic Re:Inspecting and Repacking Life rafts
A friend of mine has a friend in the business of liferaft inspections for commercial boats, very lucrative. The advice he received was to never go in these liferafts unless your other option is to swimm. The repacking of life raft is basically to inspect the flares and other survival pieces on the raft and make sure there is no rot, cracks, and the bottle is not empty. This you can do yourself. I intend to inflate it on my lawn one of these days and see if it is still okay. Refilling the bottle will be the next challenge, but at the price these companies charge, this is worth trying it!

Roland on Esmeralda (W42 #73)

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds