Bernard "Bernie" Boykin (1921 - 2011)

More
10 years 4 months ago #880 by John Cece
Bernard "Bernie" Boykin (1921 - 2011) was created by John Cece
Bernard “Bernie” Boykin (1921-2011):

Sadly I’m writing to inform you that, yesterday (Tue, 31 May), Carolyn Boykin called to inform me that Bernie died about 2 weeks ago. Carolyn indicated that he had been sick for several months.

Bernie and Carolyn were among the original Whitby 42 owners. Circa 1990, Bernie founded the “Whitby 42 Owners Association”. His desire was to gather names of owners, foster communications within the group, and publish a newsletter. He was successful in each of these endeavors: the newsletter contained informative tidbits about how to fix different things that went wrong; owners would write letters about their cruises and their experiences with the Whitby; and, annually the newsletter contained a listing of owners, their boat names, etc.

As the organization matured, the newsletter became more important (somewhat similar to today’s web site Discussion Forum). Also, the Brewers were included, and Whitby/Brewer rendezvous’ were becoming routine…… we attended our first one in 2000…..at the Rankin residence on Whitehall Creek, Annapolis.

It was about 2005, when a group of us had lunch at Eastport Yacht Club, at which time Bernie asked for help in running the organization….. he said that he was getting a bit tired, and that it was time for younger folks to get involved. As he said this, he looked directly at me ….. and I couldn’t say “NO”.

We, the current Whitby/Brewer owners, are the beneficiaries of his foresight and hard work. Because of his early leadership, we have an organization that has many members, excellent communications, and a willingness to share information.

We are grateful to Bernie, and we wish him eternal rest.

Very humbly yours,

John Cece
WBS Coordinator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #881 by Deborah Streeter
Replied by Deborah Streeter on topic Re:Bernard "Bernie" Boykin (1921 - 2011)
Bernie will be missed.
And his memory, and his work organizing the W/B Association will live on!

Our prayers and condolences to his family and friends.

Deb and Lew

Free N Clear
Whitby 42, #70

More
10 years 4 months ago #882 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Re:Bernard "Bernie" Boykin (1921 - 2011)
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

I only had the pleasure of meeting him once but Bernie impressed me as one of life's gentlemen. My thoughts and prayers are with Carolyn, their family and friends.

Gerry

More
10 years 4 months ago #885 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Re:Bernard "Bernie" Boykin (1921 - 2011)
That is a shame. Bernie's enthusiasm for the Whitby and the people who sail her was loud and clear in the newsletters. I'm glad to have met him last fall, we all owe him a debt of gratitude for the wealth of information he collected. All the best to his family.

GAC

He who will not risk cannot win.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds