New owner

More
10 years 6 months ago #775 by George Fogel
New owner was created by George Fogel
Just wanted to introduce myself. Several years ago I read "The Next
Port" and decided that a Whitby was the boat for me.
Finally after about five years I got the funds together, started looking and found her!
My wife Laurie and I are now the proud (if not a little overwhelmed) owners of
Sail On, a Fort Myers bow sprint model. look forward to the millions of questions
we present!!! lol
George Fogel
Georgetown, S.C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #776 by Lisa Cornelius
Replied by Lisa Cornelius on topic Re:New owner
Captain George,

Welcome Aboard.

South Carolina...any recommendations for winter slips in your area? How about Hurricane holes nearby?

What are your first projects? Lots of knowledge on this site and in the group mind.
Most likely, somebody has already solved and done most things you will have on your punch list.
Do you have the old News Letters? I can send to you on a thumbdrive.

Patrick and Lisa Cornelius on Gaia hull 332 Whitby 42 with bowsprit, Canadian built
302-286-7134 Newark, DE now in Sassafras River in northern Chesapeake

More
10 years 6 months ago #777 by George Fogel
Replied by George Fogel on topic Re:New owner
Our first project is radar and upgrading GPS/Chartplotter. I am looking for fittings to go into and out of the mast with cables.
Also a source for switches matching what's in our FMY panel. I would love to get hold of the past discussions!
George Fogel

More
10 years 6 months ago #778 by Lisa Cornelius
Replied by Lisa Cornelius on topic Re:New owner
George,

OK call me with your address. I will send the thumbdrive with the old Bernie Boynkin newsletters.

I am on Gaia today cell is 302-981-0237

Patrick

More
10 years 6 months ago #780 by John Cece
Replied by John Cece on topic Re:New owner
George & Laurie,

greetings, and thanks for logging IN. We hope to meet y'all and your "new" boat in the near future. Meanwhile, if we can be of any help, please let us know..... I see that Patrick has made contact already.

A great way to meet us and many other Whitby/Brewer owners, and many of their boats, is at our annual rendezvous, which will be held on 3,4,5 October 2011 in the Annapolis area. Hope you can make it !!!

Our warm welcome,

john cece
WBS coordinator

More
10 years 6 months ago #788 by Fergus & Carol McLean
Replied by Fergus & Carol McLean on topic Re:New owner
Hi, all.
I hope you don't mind me "borrowing" this thread but we are new owners too.

After we had been talked to by a number of other boats we were just acquired by hull number 54 (if I'm reading the hull numbering system right). She started out as "Skua", went through "Ultimate" and "Sea Ewe II" to her soon-to-be-present name of "Valkyrie X", the "X" being partly out of respect to Gregg Temple whose boat was called "Valkyrie" before he renamed her. He and I were berthed side-by-side in Merritt Island in early 2000s and Carol was on the dock behind us.

I do have a question about the hull numbering: The documentation shows the "standard" number of "427554", which I translate as W42, built '75, hull # 74. The stern has "WBW420540175" stamped which I again translate as built by Whitby Works, W42, hull # 054, ??, year '75. what does the "01" stand for? 1st attempt????? How many attempts were they allowed????

We are berthed in Northwest Creek marina, New Bern, NC (which is a marina we could wax poetic about) for a while before taking her home to Florida.

Anyway, since I'm sure we will be asking a bunch of questions after I've read through all the really helpful postings on the Forum we just wanted to get acquainted.

Thanks very much.
Fergus & Carol

s/v Valkyrie X.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #789 by Greg Temple
Replied by Greg Temple on topic Hull Identification Number.
Welcome Fergus, Carol and Valkyrie X,

Hull numbering has been a recurrent topic through the years. Bernie Boykin wrote about the hull numbering scheme which you may have found on the site. In case you haven't, or others are interested, here it is:

www.whitbybrewersailboats.com/the-whitby...-association-history

At the very end is a HIN breakdown:

Hull number example: ZWB 42 156 0980.
ZWB42 = Whitby 42
156 = Serial Number
0980 = Year Built (Sept. 1980)
The hull number is molded into the upper stbd corner of the transom.

My interpretation of your number is that hull 054 was built in January of 1975.

I also recall some info from Doug S. about the imposition of a "standardized" HIN during the boat's manufacture. I would attribute the WBW versus ZWB to that.

Greg Temple
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Greg Temple.

More
10 years 6 months ago #790 by Fergus & Carol McLean
Replied by Fergus & Carol McLean on topic Re: Hull Identification Number.
Hey, Gregg,old buddy.
So are you back from the islands now? Any chance you'll be around Daytona beach?

Thanks for the info... I did remember seeing that somewhere but, as usual I was looking in the wrong places at the wrong time!

Hope we can get together sometime.

Fergus & Carol.
s/v Valkyrie X
New Bern, NC (temporarily)

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds