Insurance Blue Water for Canadian W42

More
11 years 7 months ago #428 by Roland Gilbert
Insurance Blue Water for Canadian W42 was created by Roland Gilbert
Hello, In Canada, precisely in the Montreal area, it is impossible to obtain an insurance for blue water sailing going south of New York for older boats. Local insurers are only interrested in insuring recent boats on the local lakes and rivers. Has anyone any tip on where to contract an insurance for blue water cruising, Caribbean, Bahamas, US? We are prepared to proceed with a new survey if required. Thank you.

Roland on Esmeralda (W42 #73)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #429 by Larry Donaldson
Replied by Larry Donaldson on topic Re:Insurance Blue Water for Canadian W42
Roland, We insured with Harbour Insurance out of Toronto, 1-877-731-1224. Try them but I am unsure if they can cover a Quebec registered boat. We have had good service from them over the three years they have covered the boat. They handled a claim well when a boat hit us and caused extensive damage to the rub and cap rail.

More
11 years 7 months ago #430 by David Groves
Replied by David Groves on topic Re:Insurance Blue Water for Canadian W42
Hi All

We have been using Robertson and Robertson (Skipper's Plan) in Toronto. 800-661-7211 I have no pecuniary interest in the firm except that they give out free Ultimate Sailing calendars to their customers at the Toronto Boat Show :-)

The policy is actually with AVIVA.

When we took Shamal to the Bahamas, we got two additional riders, one below New York to the Bahamas and the second to include the Turks and Cacos if we wanted to proceed. When we were trying to get away this time they told us that the basic policy now included all of the East Coast down to New York, up to 100 miles offshore.

We just talked to someone who indicated that Robertson and Robertson had insured them, then recommended a second insurer for the more extended parts of their trip (not sure where, but past Bahamas).

When we set it up, I got the impression that they provided it on a case by case basis.

We carry agreed value, and to keep costs down, we have a high deductible which doubles for "named storms". We are only interested in coverage for major catastrophes.

No claims. This is our second boat with them.

Regards

David and Hallie
W42#321 Shamal

More
11 years 7 months ago #431 by John Cece
Replied by John Cece on topic Re:Insurance Blue Water for Canadian W42
Roland,

The insurance agent for our 1982 W42 is International Marine Insurance Services (Grasonville, MD). Their e-mail address is: mail@IMIS.pro I can't find an "800" number for then, but their local number is: 410-827-3757.

The owner , Al Golden, is a sailor, and knows sailboats. He has been our agent for some 20 yrs... and, yes, it's my opinion that a survey will be a requirement.

john cece
MENEHUNE W42 (#195) 1982

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds