IHN Location

More
10 years 4 months ago #1694 by Victor Zarzhitsky
As a result of the recent action by Mexican authorities, I need to know where the second Hull Number is located on my Whitby 42'. I located the first Hull Number on the Transom. I am told that the second identical Hull Number is in a concealed location, not in the open or easy to find. Does someone know where it is located? Thank you!

Victor & Jo Ann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #1697 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic IHN Location
Sorry to hear you are caught up in that. Hope you get it worked out. Let us know how it goes.

On Joie de Vivre there is a metal plate just below the main cabin companionway entrance. The information printed on the plate is long since worn away but the number stamped on it is quite legible. While it is not identical to our HIN it contains some of the same information. My number is '427688' where I assume '42' would be for 'Whitby 42', '76' is the year built, and '88' is the hull number.

HTH,
Scott

More
10 years 4 months ago #1698 by Victor Zarzhitsky
Replied by Victor Zarzhitsky on topic HIN Location
Thank you so much for the explanation of the Hull Numbers. That makes sense!

So I looked under my companion way for the plate you described. There is nothing there and it does not look like anything was ever there. Is there possibly another location this second plate could be?

Would you please tell me what information is printed on this plate? Maybe I can order one and install it there.

Again...Thanks!

V & J Hull Number 58 <(+;+)>

More
10 years 4 months ago #1699 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic HIN Location
Clarification - my plate is mounted on the outside of the companionway in the cockpit.

I do not know what information the plate originally displayed. The only thing left on mine is the HIN number in the lower right hand corner. I would guess it was mostly the Whitby logo or some such.

Hopefully someone else will chime it with an alternate location. I only know the one where ours is.

More
10 years 4 months ago #1701 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic IHN Location
We have the same plate, here is ours (pic attached).
GAC

He who will not risk cannot win.
Attachments:

More
10 years 4 months ago #1702 by Terry Temperly
Replied by Terry Temperly on topic IHN Location
The idea is to have the Hull Identification Number PERMANENTLY fixed to the boat someplace so that if it is stolen, the thief can't simply change the name on the transom, etc. So you can't just have a plate made and attach it. That is why the coast guard, etc want to see it. I was on a tallship once where we actually got a ticket requiring a fine to be paid because we did not know where it was. (found it later)
The number is supposed to be affixed during the construction of the boat at the factory in such a way that it can never be removed. For mine, it is in 3 inch black block letters, which were then covered over with a coat of clear resin (epoxy or polyester). If it was ground out, the authorities could tell it had been altered. Location is under the floor in the V-berth, most forward cabin. In the fiberglass of the hull itself, on the port side. Mine is a Brewer, so maybe Florida installed these HIN in a different place than for the Canada Whitbys. Hope this helps. Terry, ISLAND TIME

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds