No boat yet, but sniffing about Whitby 42s

More
10 years 1 month ago #1018 by Jonathan Mau
No boat yet, but sniffing about Whitby 42s was created by Jonathan Mau
Hello:

I don't own anything bigger than an Albacore currently, but my wife and I are looking for a robust cruiser. I am definately falling for the W42!

I am quite tall (6'4" or so), so on top of all the usual constraints that one deals with in boating, I still have the expectation of headroom. I may lose this expectation on my journey, but for now I am keeping it. Even though I am completely green, this headroom thing drives me to boats > about 35 feet and > $$$ I had initially hoped top spend. My brothers are about 4 inches taller than me, and my nieces and nephews are heading that way too, so even if I swallow the clearance, many of my family members will be inconvenienced when invited out.

I began the spring with (small) boats on the mind with plans to resurect my Dad's Albacore, which had not seen water in over 15 years. The all of a sudden I had a cancer diagnosis and found myself recovering from surgery, looking out the 6th floor windows of the Belleville General Hospital at the boats on the Bay of Quinte. The gears in my head started turning. I started looking differently at my life and my pile of gold.

So I have been voraciously reading, both books and on the net, for the last few months. My wife and I had a broker show us some boats likely to meet the headroom issue: a Niagara 35, Alberg34, CS36T, and C&C Landfall 39. There were also plans to see an Aloha 34, but the broker declined to show it, saying it was in miserable condition. We also intended to see a Ticon 30, but it was missing that day even though the owner was advised the previous day we would be around. We immediately liked the layout of the C&C, and it was one of only 2 boats that I could stand up in completely straight and not hit the headliner (Alberg was the other, but only down the centre line).

At this point, I began to find everything I could about the Landfall. In the end, there did not seem to be universal agreement as to it's bluewater credibility. Then the broker started to lose interest in us, so I think the Landfall is in the end a dead end. Except that the layout of the Whitby 42 is very similar, and this boat does seem to have better agreement as to it's robustness! Not unanimous mind you, but pretty close.

So I am at the point of liking the Whitbys in a general, from afar, without ever having seen or stepped on one kind of way. I am starting to ask at various marinas and clubs as to the feasibility of a 42 foot boat (not in many places as it turns out). These inquiries seem to rule out Belleville, the closest water to where I live, for a boat this size.

I also like that there is a community around this boat, strength ijn numbers, that the Landfall does not have. I never found a production number on the Landfall, so might well be only a dozen or two. I think too much of an orphan in the end for someone that has not spent years around large boats.

So this is where I am at: investigating logistics of a home marina or club, fear of too much boat for too inexperienced a sailor, distaste of sinking quite so large a sum into this whole boat business, waiting out the low activity period after my most recent surgery. We will see how it plays out.

In closing, a shoutout to Hannah on the Rita T, whom I ran into elsewhere.

Regards,

Boulter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #1020 by Larry Donaldson
Replied by Larry Donaldson on topic Re:No boat yet, but sniffing about Whitby 42s
Research is a fine thing, it can lead you down the road to discovery. The Whitby Brewer Sailboats group you have stumbled into is a fine user group with a great deal of information available on the Whity and Brewers out there. Welcome.

For a wealth of information, and based in Canada, you need to get in touch with Doug Stephenson, located in the resource list of the site. He can get you everything you need for your investigation.

Regards,

Larry Donaldson
S/V Star Shadow
Whitby 42, Hull #333

More
10 years 1 month ago #1023 by Brad Roberts
Replied by Brad Roberts on topic Re:No boat yet, but sniffing about Whitby 42s
Hi there:

A Whitby 42 is a fine boat. We looked for one for years and finally bought one this spring. My husband had the height issue as well so a boat that he could stand up in (6' 2") was very important. We brought her back from Quebec City, took us 6 days to Kingston with lots of interesting weather at that time as well and she preforms like a dream.

If you are interested in seeing one we would be happy to show you ours plus I know of 2 other Whitbys for sale. We are located in Portsmouth Harbour Kingston and if you'd like to contact us and make some arrangements call us at 613-432-7693 or our cell 613 433 7580.

Regards,

Anne Roberts

ANNETEAK #23

More
10 years 1 month ago #1029 by Jonathan Mau
Replied by Jonathan Mau on topic Re:No boat yet, but sniffing about Whitby 42s
Robfam wrote:

If you are interested in seeing one we would be happy to show you ours plus I know of 2 other Whitbys for sale. We are located in Portsmouth Harbour Kingston and if you'd like to contact us and make some arrangements call us at 613-432-7693 or our cell 613 433 7580.

Regards,

Anne Roberts

ANNETEAK #23

Hi Anne:

Sounds like a plan. Maybe we can set up something for the weekend of September 25. I'll call Thursday likely.

Regards,

Boulter

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #1046 by Roland Gilbert
Replied by Roland Gilbert on topic Re:No boat yet, but sniffing about Whitby 42s
Even though mine looks like a mess at this time (we are sanding the deck for a new paint job), you are welcome to visit us since we are at the Iroquois Marine Services boatyard in Ontario, near Morrisburgh. However, get in touch quickly with me since we will likely close her up for the winter this week-end.

Roland on Esmeralda (W42 #73)

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #1047 by Jonathan Mau
Replied by Jonathan Mau on topic Re:No boat yet, but sniffing about Whitby 42s
Hi:

Thanks for the offer. This weekend does not work at this end. If you are not closed up for the year, Sunday October 16 might be possible here.

I'd PM you, but there does not seem to be a facility to do that here. Or maybe I am still on probation and have not been granted access to the wider capabilities. I get alot of "you are not authorized to view this page" stuff here, even on my own profile sometimes.

Boulter

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #1048 by Roland Gilbert
Replied by Roland Gilbert on topic Re:No boat yet, but sniffing about Whitby 42s
Unless I have anything left to do the boat should be closed for the winter on the 16th, in any case, send the message here and it will reach my e-mail.

Roland on Esmeralda (W42 #73)

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds