Rudder Mold....

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #986 by Gerry O'Donoghue
This is a long shot, but here goes.

At least one Whitby owner is repairing a rudder at the moment (the shaft has cracked and or become detached in some way. It is an owner enlarged rudder. He has received a quote of $5K to repair it. Foss Foam Products of Florida, newrudders.com/ makes replacement rudders for a large number of sailboats.

A replacement rudder from them, with the Whitby owner supplying the strengthened / repaired rudder stock will run approx $2,500. The mold will cost approx $2000.

What are the odds of getting 20 Whitby 42 owners to contribute $100 each to buy mold. They would then have the right to use the mold as necessary. Any others would have to pay a fee to use the mold, such fee could revert to the original contributes or the association.

There would have to be a pretty quick decision on this, as the owner with the damaged rudder would have to ship it to Florida to use it to make the mold.

Regards

Gerry
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Gerry O'Donoghue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #987 by Larry Donaldson
Replied by Larry Donaldson on topic Re:Rudder Mold....
I am currently rebuilding the rudder for #333. The stock failed at the first bend in the rudderpost due to fatigue and what looks like a 20% crack that appeared well before the rudderstock failed, maybe even at manufacture. It also failed while approaching Hope Island in 18-20 knots thankfully on a beam reach. We were able to tuck into the lee and wait for the seas to calm down and finish our trip.

The rudder was as manufactured, therefore the original size.

I am having built a stainless stock and adding a gusset at the first bend. I will also modify the existing skins to extend the bottom aft edge of the rudder eight inches, so it is parallel to the waterline. I understand that was in the original plans.
I hope to have it all back together in a week or so. I have another three months of cruising left in the Great Lakes.

Larry Donaldson
S/V Star Shadow
W-42 #333.

More
12 years 9 months ago #988 by Lisa Cornelius
Larry and Gerry,

Larry, glad you got her under control. Thanks for the heads up.
Wow! Hull #333 the newest one. I am hull #332 and very worried now.
My rudder Looks good from outside. I will dive on it after Irene goes away.
Would tapping indicate anything? Need a Xray or Gamma Ray photo of the insides I guess.???
Or just replace it now???

Gerry, Let me know where and when to send the check. Hope others respond. Should we call some guys?

home land line 302-286-7134 Cell phone 302-981-0237

Patrick Cornelius Hull 332 Gaia
Newark, DE

More
12 years 9 months ago #989 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Re:Rudder Mold....
An interesting proposition, Gerry. I would be willing to donate to such a venture, but am concerned about the shape/size/etc. of the rudder being used to make the mold. Every owner-enlarged rudder will have a unique shape/size. Each with it's own resulting handling charactersitcs. I was told by my PO that his PO had enlarged Joie de Vivre's rudder from the original, then resized it again after the first attempt was deemed "too large". I do not know how close my current rudder conforms to the recommended specs from Ted Brewer or how specific Brewer's specs are as to dimension and shape. My point is, we would essentially be picking a rudder at random from the fleet and making every subsequent rudder the same. Does it merrit some discussion whether this is the best rudder on which to base all future rudders?

I do not know which boat/rudder we are talking about so this is nothing personal against any particular boat or owner.

Scott
Joie de Vivre

More
12 years 9 months ago #990 by Edward Watson
Replied by Edward Watson on topic Re:Rudder Mold....
I had a new rudder fabricated from a sheet of 1/4 stainless steel and a new SS rudder shaft. works fine and sails fine. cost about $1500 and any metal head with a welder can do it. I use two zincs on it. It has been on now about ten years, w/no problems.

More
12 years 9 months ago #991 by Lisa Cornelius
Replied by Lisa Cornelius on topic Re:Rudder Mold....
Thanks for the info. Simple is good. Wonder why the original design did not do this? Cost is actually lower.
Should last longer. It is stronger. Galvanic corrosion is under control with zincs.
Does the rudder have to have a hydrodynamic shape? Camber? A flat SS plate may have laminar flow?
But the current rudder is almost ineffective especially when backing. Obviously it does not matter.
You said you get good results.

Patrick Cornelius

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds