Hard Dodger

More
13 years 1 month ago #887 by Dan Pedersen
Replied by Dan Pedersen on topic Re:Hard Dodger
I would be very interested in seeing your ideas. We are trying to figure out how to redo the dodger bimini setup on Akupara and we also would like solar panels up top. Any pictures or info would be appreciatted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #888 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Re:Hard Dodger
We're thinking about a "real" bimini for INDEFATIGABLE as well (Whitby 42) instead of the awning, so this is a timely discussion and we appreciate the insights. We're planning to check out everyone's boat that we can see at the diesel engine class in Kilmarnock next week. I'm tentatively thinking that a traditional bimini/ cockpit enclosure design would work, but to accommodate the fixed mainsheet, the aft corners of the rooftop over the cockpit would have to curve forward. And so the aft supports will have to either lean forward, or rise vertically and then bend forward. This would create a flattened "triangle" on the aft facing surface of the enclosure at the upper corners where it meets the top. the corners would have to sweep forward far enough to avoid the mainsheet as the boom swings wide on a run or broad reach, and to shed the mainsheet in a gybe. One of these days I need to mock up a frame and see how it would look. If it comes out I will post some pics.

He who will not risk cannot win.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #890 by Deborah Streeter
Replied by Deborah Streeter on topic Re:Hard Dodger
We have been very happy with the Bimini that we had fabricated out of aluminum with a strong top sewn of Stamoid fabric (water-proof and long life) w/ Gortex thread. It supports 4 - 130 watt solar panels and is strong enough to walk on the cross beams.
I have created a slideshow of the construction. Please click and enjoy.

Free N Clear
Whitby 42, #70
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Deborah Streeter.

More
13 years 1 month ago #905 by John Meskauskas
Replied by John Meskauskas on topic Re:Hard Dodger
Hi, guys. We met you in Oriental the day before you departed for PA. Our hull No 2 has a Starboard hard dodger, about 9 by 8 feet on a welded frame. You're welcome to any fotos, specs, etc. It has been nice to use although if I were to do it over again I would make the top itself out of a composite like Corecell because of its lighter weight and the avoidance of lots of aluminum plate and screws to join sections. I would guess that our dodger weighs 200-250 lbs.

Please keep us posted what you decide.

John

More
13 years 1 month ago #906 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Re:Hard Dodger
Hi John

I would appreciate any photos to "whitby42 at gmail.com".

If you wish I will format them and post them on this board.

Regards

Gerry

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds