Help my Brewer centre board is stuck

More
12 years 11 months ago #822 by Martin Gaffney
my email is m.gaffney@rogers.com many thanks I looke forward to seeing them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #870 by Peter Garsoe
Just a second thought before you haul out... are you sure it is stuck?... if you don't know they are very difficult to lift with the cabin trunk winch... I use that winch as a turning block and run the pennant to the main sheet winch... much easier....
also you did not mention if the emergency pennant would move the board... located in the cockpit it is a direct line to the pad eye on the board and even if the lifting pennant is stuck it should lift the board... I too would be interested in the drawings Bill mentioned.
Peter

More
12 years 10 months ago #871 by Martin Gaffney
Peter, thank you for your comments. You may well be correct if the board is that stiff to raise that you need to use a big winch. I have nothing to lose so I will try that before I haul her out. I have not seen an emergency pennant in the cockpit tho, can you expand on that ? I have several drawings now from different sources and if you have an Email ID i will be happy to pass them along.
I looked at the instructions on putting pics on here and think I prefer Email !
Martin

More
12 years 10 months ago #876 by Peter Garsoe
Martin, mine has a pennant attached to the trailing edge of the board mid section... it is under the cockpit grate..
I would appreciate the drawings... earl167atyahoo.com
Peter

More
12 years 10 months ago #877 by C. William Eilers, Jr
I don't think the pennant that is attached to the trailing edge of the board is meant for an emergency lift. When the board is up the attachment point is not under the hausepipe that comes through the cockpit sole. On my boat which is Brewer number 11 the main pennant attachment broke and I was undable to get it up with the one through the cockpit. From the geometry I think that that pennant is meant to keep the board from dropping all the way down if tied off at the correct length. at this point the pennant lines up with the hausepipe through the cockpit. It will also take the weight of the board off the main pennant when the board is down if ties off at the correct length. I would appreciate any other suggestions.
Bill Eilers

More
12 years 10 months ago #878 by Peter Garsoe
Thanks Bill, I can't remember using this pennant for some time but you are right in that if used this way it is an interesting rigging issue to raise it... used the main boom as a lifting point with block and tackle...
but you bring up an interesting point about holding the board in a position other then all the way down.. has anyone solved the board banging problem?... I have used mine seldom as it has a lot of movement and concerned about damaging... but do need it to windward as otherwise there is a lot of lee-way...I have re-glassed the board and made a new bearing out of delrin... this new bearing is very tight and holds the board fast but it still has a lot of movement in a seaway... assume it is the trailing edge as even a tight bearing could not hold it given its pivot point... which, by the way, seems like a Rube Goldberg arrangement and the strain on the main pennant is tremendous...the trailing edge pennant seems like a more likely lifting point and I have considered rerouting it for the main pennant and use the forward/top one for emergencies ...

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds