Help my Brewer centre board is stuck

More
12 years 11 months ago #813 by Martin Gaffney
I bought Hull number 10 Fort Meyers Brewer 12.8 a lovely boat. I would appreciate advice from any other owners.The centre board is stuck down ! have slack in the line at both the mast and the board. Any suggestions to free the plate ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #815 by C. William Eilers, Jr
We have Brewer 12.8 number 11 and have had her for 12 years. I also had Centerboard trouble about 10 years ago. In my case the board was down but the problem was that the Padeye to which the pennant attaches had broken off the top of the board and the board hung down straight If your pennant is still attached to the board then it must be jammed somewhere. I heard about another boat with a similar problem and it turned out that the shiv where the pennant turns at the forward end of the centerboard trunk had broken or the pennant was jammed along the side of the shiv. you can get at this from a hatch in the cabin sole. You will have to have the boat out of the water and remove the turning block at the centerboard trunk. I have seen a picture of this fitting someplace but can't locate it right now I will continue to look. Bill Eilers

More
12 years 11 months ago #816 by C. William Eilers, Jr
I found the drawings

More
12 years 11 months ago #817 by C. William Eilers, Jr

More
12 years 11 months ago #820 by Martin Gaffney
Hi Bill, thanks so much for such a prompt response. Yes, I think it is hung up somewhere in the mystery of the trunk. It is still attached at both ends but jammed fast. If you have a drawings of the shiv arrangement i would love to see them, do you have hard copy or electronic. Is it possible to get a copy from you?
The boat is in Roatan right now and there is now a travel lift so I can get her out of the water. If based on your drawings I can take with me all the parts that I might need I will get the job completed ASAP
By the way i feel that the early 12.8's were very well built Integrity of the hull and fittings on mine is just great. Do you have the Lehman Peugeot fitted in your boat? It is in mine but i found suppliers for almost all spares.

Best regards

Martin

More
12 years 11 months ago #821 by C. William Eilers, Jr
I do have drawings and could fax then to you or scan them but where do I send them? billeilers@aol.com

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds