Ft Myers Yacht and Ship is rotten plumbing/safety

More
6 years 9 months ago #2585 by George Myers
Even the cheapest houseboat ever built has thru hulls--- Not this Brewer 12.8 just look at the attached photo of the removed seacocks. See the plastic junk screwed into the bottom!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #2586 by Gerry O'Donoghue
George

Very interesting. They went to the expense of installing WC sea-cocks and obviously bolted them into the hull. Obviously they were out of through hulls at the time and some genius came up with the solution of installing plastic pipe as a work around. Maybe with the intention of installing proper through hulls later (I'm giving yards more credit that they generally deserve). This is why I recommend a full survey of even new build boats. This should have been picked up by even a cursory inspection of the hull. It does show the benefit of having your sea-cocks bolted through the hull that this worked for 30+ years.

Anyone owners concerned should just take a swim over the side and feel for the mushroom flange which in proud of the hull. I doubt that this practice is widespread.

Just for anyone following this thread, this is a through hull.
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #2587 by George Myers
You may be correct-- However to install and caulk they sawed a larger hole than required---- the new marelon thru hulls have only a 1/8 grip all around the hole. BTW-- "built to a price point" translation generally means "Hope you die at sea" LOL

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds