Whitby caprail

More
10 years 1 month ago #1770 by Fergus & Carol McLean
We need to replace a section of caprail on our 1975 Whitby and wondered if anybody knows about any supplier of preshaped wood. We need a section for the port bow which looks like the second section back from the bow.
Thanks, folks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #1771 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Whitby caprail
Fergus

Its unlikely that you will get a supplier for cap-rails. These are generally cut to measure. Its not a big deal for any good carpenter.

Carefully remove the old cap-rail, you will be using this as a template. You need a wide piece of teak to allow for the horizontal curve in the rail. For example our cap-rail is 3" wide but you may have to buy a 5" wide piece of teak to accommodate the curve. Another issue will be that it will have been worn down over the years. It originally started as a 3/4 ins thick board (I think).

Look at the attached photos. They rounded both edges and then routed out the underside to give an outside lip and a 1/2" thick board. I think this is a waste of good and expensive teak. Jim who did the aft part of my boat used a full 3/4" board and just glued on a teak batten to give the outside lip. This will not work for you as you are trying to match the existing cap-rail.

Have fun

Gerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds