Brewer 44 repair advice

More
10 years 3 months ago #1637 by Matt Davis
Sorry for double post, but I just realized that the "Ask an Expert" expert is out with back surgery and probably unable to respond to this post.

Getting a B44 surveyed next week that has a crack running vertically on transom, just about centered on the stern, all they way down to and on the molded swim step. As far as the depth, I wouldn't call it just a "hair line" crack but it is rather thin. Any ideas if this would be simply cosmetic? Could it indicate anything more serious? Any guesses as to the cause of this? What would be the best repair method to fix this?

Secondly, boat has a 2ft by 3ft soft spot on fore deck, just to starboard of center line prism. What is the best plan of attack in fixing this?

Thanks for your input.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #1639 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Matt (I presume)

The Whitby 42 hulls and therefore I assume the Brewer 44 were built in two halves and joined together. The layup schedule was for a number of overlapping laminates of glass fiber (I seem to remember 7) on the inside. I'm not sure what was on the outside but I suspect that the crack is cosmetic. I would treat it accordingly.

Ref the soft spot on deck. If you have a prism installed on the deck I suspect that might be the source of water migration. The Don Casey manual has a great section on repairing wet cored decks

Gerry

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #1640 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Brewer 44 repair advice
I agree with Gerry about the stern. The hull halves were glassed together only on the inside of the hull. The seam on the exterior was probably just filled with gelcoat. I have the same crack in my stern.

Repairing the deck can be done yourself but there is an art to it that is usually better left to professionals. The job involves removing the top layers of fiberglass and all the damaged core. Installing new core and reglassing the deck. The epoxy manufacturer West Systems has some excellent articles online on how to do it but for an area that size I would hire a pro. The steps are straightforward but making it strong, watertight, lightweight, and pretty are a tough combination to attain.

Scott
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Scott Lee.

More
10 years 3 months ago #1644 by Matt Davis
Replied by Matt Davis on topic Brewer 44 repair advice
Yes, it is Matt. Thank you all for the replies. They are most helpful and will help my wife and I in making the BIG decision. We really hope to get the boat. If/when that happens, I am sure I will be posting many more rookie questions. I will post an update on the outcome of survey/sea trial and hopefully final acceptance! Thanks again.

More
9 years 4 months ago #1963 by Derrick Serrer
Hi everyone,
Just noticed what appears to be a crack on the forward leading edge of the keel on my Whitby 42. Not sure how it was missed in the survey. What are the odds that it is also cosmetic?
Thanks
Derrick

More
9 years 4 months ago #1964 by David Groves
This should be in a Whitby topic, but my Whitby 42 #321 "Shamal had serious but none-structural damage to the outer shell through moisture and delamination, on the front and bottom of the keel. The two halves of the hull are well bonded on the inside, but just butted and faired on the outside. The fairing fails and water penetrates the laminate. Even worse if you nudge an undocumented anchor block in Valleyfield Quebec!! The repair involved grinding, drying (four garboard plugs left in to monitor and dry the lower sections before winter storage), reglassing the outside of the joint, and barrier coat. In your case, you should be okay with just opening the crack and re-fairing, along with barrier coat.

Regards
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derrick Serrer

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds