Brewer12.8 Centerboard

More
8 years 5 months ago #1746 by Augusto Villalon
Replied by Augusto Villalon on topic Brewer12.8 Centerboard
You have most of your statements correct. However, the pennant on the cockpit is both, a back up to be able to raise the board if the main line breaks but more than that, this line was designed to make the board travel stop at the correct angle that you mention. The angle where to "set" the board by adjusting the pennant is, as you mentioned, approximately 45 degrees. The way to adjust at the angle is to let the board down to the point where the "shoulder" built-in on the board is flush, or parallel to the bottom edge of the keel. Letting the board down all the way may change several parameters of proper balance, namely… center of resistance displacement, increase weather-helm, etc.
The wedges do work, as we know from people who have done this. My preferred version is to glue them (Plexus) and through bolt them on the low, or leading edge of the board. The increase resistance will be less than the benefits. These wedges can be made with "Starboard" material. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1747 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Brewer12.8 Centerboard
Any change in the designed shape of the board will result in more drag and less lift which means anything attached to it will diminish its purpose.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1748 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Brewer12.8 Centerboard
PS Tony Pocklington is currently making me a new board and his father Joe will install it -under my intense scrutiny...board cost is $4500.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1749 by Augusto Villalon
That is… if you sail your Brewer as you sail a 12 meter at an old America's cup race. If, on the contrary, you sail your Brewer as we all sail our cruising boats (with a barnacle here and there) you will never notice that diminish geoleo is talking about, which is try of course but a matter of degree.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1750 by Augusto Villalon
Mistake, I meant… which is try of course, but a matter of degree

More
2 weeks 5 hours ago #3638 by Bruce Genereaux
Replied by Bruce Genereaux on topic Brewer12.8 Centerboard
HI William,

I have a Brewer 12.8 and the center board pennant needs replacing.

What is the procedure you used?

Any pictures?

Bruce

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds