Hard Top bimini

More
10 years 5 months ago #1566 by Tony Lesak
Hard Top bimini was created by Tony Lesak
Hi all,
I am looking for opinions, suggestions and pictures of hardtop biminies for W42. I am looking into putting one on and i am lookings for suggestions.

I have hull W #132 with 176' boom

any input will be greatly appriciated
thank you
Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #1567 by Steven Lott
Replied by Steven Lott on topic Hard Top bimini
We had a hard dodger built by Dan Wood of Canvas Creations in Annapolis Delaware. We have a fabric bimini attached to the hard dodger. We love it.

Here's a link to a picture of the dodger with solar panels and fabric bimini aft.

Red Ranger Dodger

The current design for a Wave Stopper dodger involves HDPE (the same material as StarBoard) mounted over simple bent steel structure. The installation is quick and painless.

More
10 years 4 months ago #1577 by Tom Andreano
Replied by Tom Andreano on topic Hard Top bimini
Tony,
I built a hard dodger for Lone Star about 8 years ago. It i supported by 1 inch stainless tubing on 60 degree mounts. The frame was built with fir. depth at center was about 44 inches. The arch was achieved by laminating wood with epoxy & a LOT of clamps, using a jig. Aft arch was simple, five laminates. The forward arch mimics the cockpit coaming, and is a compound curve built from 25 strips of fir, ripped down to3/8 by 5/16. You need a good shop quality table saw to do this. Framing from bow to stern is simple 1 X 4. I covered the frame with 1/4 plywood, added two layers of 6 oz glass, lots of sanding...Had the surround made locally. We can stand on this to put our main away.

I can send you pics if you are interested.

Tom
Hull #216

More
10 years 4 months ago #1590 by Tony Lesak
Replied by Tony Lesak on topic Hard Top bimini
hello,
thank you for your reply, it look like you built a hard dodger with attached removable bimini. an interesting idea. Would you have some pictures you are willing to share?
thx Tony

More
10 years 4 months ago #1591 by Tony Lesak
Replied by Tony Lesak on topic Hard Top bimini
Hello Tom,
I appriciate your input and my plan is to build a hardtop along those lines. I have a of question.

Did you extend the boom? My boom is 176" and the top would interfere unless i extend the boom by 14" or put a traveller on top of the bimini.

I plan use 1 1/2 heavy wall tubing and the top will be 1/2 starboard ( king Board ) The board will be shaped and attached to the frame by a local starboard supplier ( Looked for a long time and found one close by )

Is it possible to share more close up pictures

Thank you Tony

More
10 years 4 months ago #1598 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Hard Top bimini
Tom

Please add me to the e-mail for the photos of the hard top/bimini.

whitby42 "at" gmail.com

Regards

Gerry

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds