Hatchs in main salon and Fwd cabin

More
11 years 3 months ago #1402 by Vincent LoRusso
Does any one know the name of the original manufacturer of the over head hatches in the main salon and forward cabin of the Whitby 42? I was told they are still being made. Any one who has replaced one of these and has any thoughts on the subject please let me know.

Thank You,
Vincent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #1403 by Greg Temple
The hatches in our W42 #313 were made by Bowmar ( www.pompanette.com/bomar ) who is still in business and can furnish some parts. Whitby may have used other suppliers during production, however.

I replaced the lenses with 3/8" plastic a few years ago. I can't recall if it was acrylic or polycarbonate at the moment. GE makes a sealant/adhesive for either of the types of plastic. I searched all over for it and finally talked a supplier out of a couple of tubes only to find that Maritime Plastic near Annapolis stocks the plastic and can explain differences, can cut to order and also stocks the proper adhesive/sealant ( www.maritimeplastics.com/ ) for the material you use.

The round tube shaped gasket Bowmar sells is expensive. Others have said they have found it at McMaster Carr ( www.mcmaster.com ) for way less.

Greg Temple
My Destiny W42 #313

More
11 years 3 months ago #1405 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Hi Vincent

If you are going the refurbish route this suff is worth checking out;

www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Silicone-Buil...ealant/dp/B000NY76MI

For replacement hatches I used Lewmar ocean series #60 flange base.

www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C6...591%7C368559&id=7239

Gerry

More
11 years 3 months ago #1406 by Mike Foster
Hi Vincent!
I recently removed all 4 hatches and frames and took them to Maritime Plastics for refurbishing. They did a superb job.
Best of luck!
Mike Foster
Uhane Kai; #213

More
11 years 3 months ago #1409 by Kevin Taylor
I just replaced all 5 hatches in my Brewer 12.8. Not sure if they are the same as a Whitby but if you want, I'll send you the part numbers. I ordered them directly from Bomar.

--Kevin

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds