Sound Proofing Engine Room

More
12 years 1 month ago #1170 by Bryan Haas
I have Hull 120 down to the bare wood. No Engine, no wires, no pipes, etc.. So I though I would add some sound proofing and was curious if anybody has some ideas or experience on what works. I have the Original Ford Lehmen engine being rebuilt, it's in great condition, to go back in. It will also have a generator in the room.

Thanks,

Bryan
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #1204 by Capital Clownshoes
If you're just looking for ideas, there is fiberglass mat that goes under the hood and on the firewalls of cars for the same purpose and can be sourced from auto parts suppliers in bulk. It's not too aesthetically pleasing though. I'd try one of the many sound dampening products that exists for the aftermarket audio market, IE dynamat, sswedge, etc. It'll be expensive, although it works wonders for sound dampening. There is a product at Lowe's for roofing that is very similar and considerably cheaper which can be used, although it's not as refined and can give off a tar smell when exposed to high temps. As with any dampening materials, try and find things that aren't flammable, or are flame resistant. Most of this stuff is going to keep the heat in too, which is an added benefit. I haven't tried any of these in a marine application, although I do have extensive experience with them in automotive apps.

Also, very clean looking engine room. Nice work.

Best of luck to you.

- H3
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by Capital Clownshoes.

More
12 years 2 days ago #1221 by Bryan Haas
Thank you for the ideas. I will most likely use some automotive insulation in some areas. Unfortuneately the engine room doesn't quiet look as good any more as the picture was before the centre fuel tank came out.

Bryan

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds