Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: emergency tiller

emergency tiller 1 year 9 months ago #2491

Hello all,

New Whitby owner, am curious about the emergency tiller, any help appreciated. thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

emergency tiller 1 year 9 months ago #2492

• gtod25
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Stephan

The installation is pretty simple. Locate the rudder post under the aft bunk. The board over this area has a hole in it. On the aft bulkhead you will see an oval home about 1/2 ways up, in the center.

Now go on deck and remove the chromed/bronze deck plate between the two aft deck lockers. This is usually the fun part at it is frequently neglected. Wire brush and grease it before putting back.

Locate the two part aluminum emergency rudder (normally jammed deep down in some locker). One end fits over the rudder post, and it should be secured from twisting. The second piece acts as the tiller, on deck, at 90deg to the first post.

As to operation. I am not convinced that the existing system could be steered for an extended period of time without much modification. I plan either to extend the tiller part all the ways up to the cockpit (no mizzen) or rig a block and tackle system to operate the short tiller.

Ideas anyone?

Gerry

emergency tiller 1 year 9 months ago #2497

Hi Stephen
We have had to use the emergency tiller when a hydraulic hose burst,.with the existing tiller extension you need two handy billys to steer a whitby.luckily we also had installed a hydrovane after we got rid of the mizzen so where able to steer with that going in to port and sailed 200nm using the hydrovane with emergency tiller locking off the main rudder.
Duncan
SY Maggie Drum
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds