Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: When to replace Edson steering cables, chain etc

When to replace Edson steering cables, chain etc 1 year 9 months ago #2411

Our Brewer 44 Rosa dos Ventos is number 304 (1989/90), and as far as we can tell talking to the last owner Rosa has never had any of its Edson steering components changed. They function well, have been regularly lubricated etc. We called Edson for a a binacle mount replacement for our auto pilot controller and the technician said they strongly recommend replacing the cables, conduit, chain and sproket every 10 years in the north and every 5 years in the trip so. This was new information for us. We would appreciate any and all comments from other Brewer and Whitby owners.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

When to replace Edson steering cables, chain etc 1 year 9 months ago #2412

• gtod25
  • Thank you received: 24
I installed Pull-Pull steering on my boat and this advice does not tie in to anything I read, nor what is in the Edson maintenance manual;

www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/plannin...381SteeringGuide.pdf

Yes, they recommend replacing the wire every 5 years BUT not the other parts. I am happy to inspect and oil the parts annually and prior to any offshore trip. At the same time rig and actually use the emergency tiller. This area is a sadly neglected part of the boat.

theincrediblehull.blogspot.com/search/label/Steering
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by gtod25.

When to replace Edson steering cables, chain etc 1 year 9 months ago #2413

• elschwieb
  • Thank you received: 5
We have the "original" chain and cable to quadrant steering on Gratitude, our B44 #284. She was hit by hurricane Charley and her rudder forced hard over in 2004. Although all gear was inspected then, it was not until 2009 that a link in the steering broke and we lost steerage (just after signing up for unlimited towing with BoatUS!). We fitted the emergency tiller (good thing to practice) and replaced the chain and we inspect and lubricate the components annually as well as the quadrant itself.
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds