Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hynautic H-31S helm pump

Hynautic H-31S helm pump 3 years 11 months ago #1879

• Desserts
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a Hynautic H-31S (1" diam. straight shaft) helm pump in good condition. I'll consider one that has minor (read: repairable) leaking at shaft.

If you have one you're willing to part with, please either reply here, or contact me directly at fitzmad at optonline dot net, or area 631 space 567 dash 1542. (Sorry, I'm trying to prevent spam - it's probably futile, but I'm trying...) If you get the machine, please leave a message and your no. and I'll call you back.

Thanks,
Frank
Just Desserts (#195)
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Desserts. Reason: Change from WTB to gen'l info.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: menehune

Hynautic H-31S helm pump 3 years 10 months ago #1891

• Desserts
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi folks,
Replying to my own post...

Good News!

Just Desserts appears to be in need of a helm pump transplant. (This is not the good news.) She has a Hynautic model H-31S and I've been told by several Hynautic repair shops that the model H-31 helm pump has been long-discontinued and is simply unavailable.

The H-31 was specially made for several sailboat manufacturers (Whitby among them) and has two special ports for connecting the little black-handled "Manual / Auto" valves that many Whitbys have on the steering pedestal, which allow the helms-person to feel any weather helm in the wheel. Apparently no other Hynautic model has these two special ports. However, being able to feel any weather helm at the wheel is a feature I like and one that I would really like to keep.

(This is the good news!) In talking with Gary Sorensen (Marine Control Systems - see Resource List) several times about my H-31 pump, he did some investigating and found that Hynautic will custom-manufacture a new model H-31 helm pump (including these two special ports). He reports this custom work will take about 4 - 6 weeks. And more good news - the cost of the custom made H-31 pump through him comes out to less than other shops are charging for a stock substitute pump (model H-21) that does not have these special ports. This is win-win!

So to repeat the good news - the H-31 is still available - and perhaps this information may be of help to others in the group.

Have fun -
Frank
Just Desserts (#195)
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by ConejoGrande. Reason: Moved to maintenance from wanted to buy
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds