Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rudder clunks at anchor

Rudder clunks at anchor 3 years 10 months ago #1872

This is a question from Tim M.

I'm wondering if you could post the rudder issue for me. I use the boat a lot and recently I've noticed the rudder clunking when anchored in rough water. It is hard to sleep in the aft cabin. There is slight movement of the rudder visible from the shaft inside. It is something new and I wonder if any owners have experienced this issue and been able to figure itout.
Thanks for your help, Tim

On Red Ranger, we have had this issue and I can attest to the fact that it is hard to sleep with a clunking rudder. Our practice to relieve this is to turn the wheel hard over to one direction and then exactly 2.5 turns back toward center. We have the hydraulic steering, although I'm not sure if that is relevant.

Does anyone else have this issue? How do you solve it?
CA
S/V Red Ranger
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rudder clunks at anchor 3 years 10 months ago #1874

• ConejoGrande
  • Joie de Vivre - #88
  • Thank you received: 11
We had a clunk that we first heard under sail while trying to sleep in the aft cabin. We found the pin at the base of the rudder had elongated the hole in the shoe that it sits in. We had the yard pull the rudder and insert a spacer to fill the gaps. Seems to have fixed the issue for us.

But you have movement at the top which should be next to nil. Repacking the gland may help a little but it sounds like the rudder shaft may be worn which is a much bigger project.

Rudder clunks at anchor 3 years 10 months ago #1875

• rstrick
  • Thank you received: 6
We had a similar issue on Allegria and at our last haulout, we dropped the rudder and also found the fit of the pin at the rudder base sloppy. We put a bushing in to make the fit tight and that seems to have solved the problem. We also changed the packing in the stuffing box for the rudder post.
Dee

Rudder clunks at anchor 3 years 10 months ago #1876

• creola1982
  • Thank you received: 1
Check the key in the rudder shaft at the rudder arm. Even a slight deformity can cause some movement in the shaft. We had this happen to us several years ago and had a few sleepless nights at anchor until we were able to replace it.
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds