Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Saye's Rig and Auto-Helm by Scanmar

Saye's Rig and Auto-Helm by Scanmar 8 months 3 weeks ago #2622

Hi there thanks for relying. We are about to fit a Hydrovane on our Brewer44 do you have any pics of how you mounted yours or any advice before we start. Were you able to get in behind the transon to put in the mounting plates?
Thanks
Mike
Stargazer
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saye's Rig and Auto-Helm by Scanmar 8 months 2 weeks ago #2623

Hi Stagazer
Yes we were able to access the transom through the combination of the aft lazarettes and through the hatch openings in the aft cabin bunk. We are currently in Panama City on Rosa. I took pics of our vane for you this morning. Easiest for me to send you the photos given our location if you send me your email address. Mine is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Ted Bovill
Rosa dos Ventos

Saye's Rig and Auto-Helm by Scanmar 7 months 3 weeks ago #2650

Hi Again,
We are about to fit our Hydrovanr on to out Brewer. Did you have to reenfoarece the transom to make it strong enough for the Hydrovane or did you just use backing plates ?
Thanks
Mike

Saye's Rig and Auto-Helm by Scanmar 7 months 3 weeks ago #2651

• wkweigel
  • Thank you received: 3
I simply used backing plates made from 1/4" aluminum plate stock. Our boat is a Whitby and has the nearly vertical transom (no sugar scoop like the Brewer 44). We mounted the unit slightly off-center to starboard. Specifically, the top mount is the single mount. We had 3 vents vertically aligned on centerline at the top of the transom. I removed the top most vent as it was not in use. The port side bolt of the top Hydrovane mount is basically on centerline of the transom and penetrates the transom accessible through the access hole above the aft berth. The starboard side bolt of the top mount comes through the transom in the starboard aft lazarette.

The lower mount is the double strut. The bolts for these strut mounts penetrate the transom in the area of the transom accessible through the small access doors over the aft berth.

I hope this helps.

We just sailed from Hampton VA to Antiqua in the Salty Dawg Rally. The vane steered the boat whenever we were under sail. For motor sailing we still use the hydraulic below deck autopilot. I am eager to rig a simple Autohelm tiller pilot to the vane so that it will work when motoring and motor sailing. This type of autopilot will use much less power than my Simrad below deck unit.

Good luck!

Saye's Rig and Auto-Helm by Scanmar 7 months 3 weeks ago #2652

How long will you be in Antiqua? Where to next? We are in Deshaies Guadeloupe waiting for some wind to make the jump to Antiqua. Do you have a wrench that fits the rudder stuffing box nut 2.5 inches?
Brian and Jane aboard Pilgrim W42#304
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds