Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hard steering Brewer 12.8

Hard steering Brewer 12.8 4 years 6 months ago #1667

• geoleo
  • Thank you received: 5
My Brewer 12.8 hull no.6 steers hard. It takes lots of force to turn wheel. It was much worse until I sprayed WD40 on the sprocket and chain. Question : How can I make it better??? It steers hard regardless of being still at dock or motoring slow or fast or sailing. Are there grease fittings at the blocks? Does packing need to be oiled? Please advise. Regards , george
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hard steering Brewer 12.8 4 years 6 months ago #1668

• billeilers
I have Brewer 12.8 No 11 "Blue Prince" The steering is Edson Pull-Pull steering which is a cable inside a jacket from the base of the steering column to the rudder. This cable inside the jacket must be greased regularly. On my boat there are grease fittings under the port and starboard aft bunks. The grease fitting has a screw-on cap that is filled with white grease and screwed in to force the grease into the cable jacket. I do this once a year with my wife in the cockpit turning the wheel all the way left and right while I screw in the grease cap We do this several times for both the port and starboard cables.

Hard steering Brewer 12.8 4 years 6 months ago #1679

• Martin123
  • Thank you received: 2
Wandering Spirit Brewer 12.8 #10 is Edson pull pull steering as well. I am replacing all chain, fittings and cables next trip as the outer "Bowden" type cable corroded itself to the extent that turning the wheel takes extreme effort. The inner 1/4 inch stainless cable wore clean through the "Bowden" outer sheath. I will be adding two more grease fittings to the existing two grease fittings under the aft cabin sole, "slather" the cables with silicone lube and hope to avoid as much corrosion in future.

Hard steering Brewer 12.8 4 years 3 months ago #1798

• Martin123
I fitted all new chain and cables last trip, both inner and outer ''bowden'' the result is magic but it cost over $1000. Added two extra lube fittings and the wheel turns with one finger.

Hard steering Brewer 12.8 4 years 2 months ago #1802

• billeilers
Martin
I have Brewer #11 and just discovered the Starboard Steering Jacket totally corroded and about to break. I will be replacing all my inner cables and outer jackets as you did I guess I should add the 2 extra grease fittings as you did under the aft cabin sole. I have a couple of questions Please. 1. Did you order the jackets and reuse your end fittings or order new jackets with the fittings attached? 2. Did you order a new cables and chain assemble or did you reuse your chain? 3. Did you buy the supplies from Edson or from someplace else?
Thanks, Bill Eilers s/v Blue Prince

Hard steering Brewer 12.8 4 years 2 months ago #1804

• Martin123
Hi Bill, I tried just about every where to find an OEM supplier and found them for the inner cable and chain but no luck at all for the outer "Bowden" style jacket. Mine too was eaten right through by salt. I had no luck either with a supplier for mechanical attachments for the inner cable to the chain.
Finally I swore a mighty oath and bought a complete new chain and cable assembly, plus two extra grease cups and "Bowden" cable from EDSON but I re-used the old ends and grease cup units plus about 15 feet of "Bowden" outer which was in good shape.Adding extra grease cups allows the reuse of outer "Bowden" cable because it makes a join easy and practical. I would have reused my inner cables and the chain but it looked to me that since the ends were very rough that sliding it back into new outer "Bowden" cables would need a minor miracle.
I know that boat means " bring out another $1,000" and with freight,taxes etc that is what it cost me. Hope this helps.

Hard steering Brewer 12.8 4 years 2 months ago #1815

• billeilers
Last week i finished installing new cables and cable jackets in the steering of my brewer 12.8 no. 11. The boat was launched this week and i am amazed at the difference. The steering in much much easier. It was a job but with my wife pulling and me pushing we were able to get the old cables and jackets put and the new ones on without toooo much trouble. Much thanks to Martin123 for his guidance and suggestions. I purchased the parts from Defender and they were drop shipped from Edson. Was about a grand but wonderful results. If i had to pay a yard for the labor, forget it. Just a tip, the best way to cut the cable and jackets without damaging them i found to be a dremel with cutting wheels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtod25
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds