Shower sump pump plumbing

• Dave Kuchenbecker
  • Dave Kuchenbecker's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #946 by Dave Kuchenbecker
Shower sump pump plumbing was created by Dave Kuchenbecker
Next project is to add a sump pump for the shower so it doesn't drain into the bilge. My questions is how did others plumb the discharge. I can't even get close to the bilge pump discharge thru hull which is just a foot or two below the deck. I have some ideas but am curious how others have solved the ploblem

Gerry really appreciated you feed back on my macerator thru hull issue. The boat is on the hard in Florida, we are home in Seattle for Hurrican season so the fun won't start for a while yet.

Thanks,

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #948 by Gregg Hoffman
Replied by Gregg Hoffman on topic Re:Shower sump pump plumbing
Dave,
Both of my showers drain into plexiglass boxes containing a float switch connected to a reciprocating bilge pump. These are plumbed to the galley where they discharge into a third box and pump which then goes overboard through the same lines and thru hull used to drain the main bilge (install a check valve!). This system works well for me. My air conditioner also drains to the galley sump, as does anything I spill on the galley sole. This system also serves as an emergency pump system, the higher the water rises, the more pumps would come on. One more note - I have used the same pump in the entire system - including the main bilge, this way I can have one spare and 4 interchangeable pumps. One more thing, I have wired an LED telltale to the main galley pump which will let me know when there is water running in one of the heads or in the galley. (Just don't watch how long the shower runs when you have guests on board, it will drive you crazy!!!)
Gregg (Suli, W42 #28)

More
9 years 3 months ago #951 by Deborah Streeter
Replied by Deborah Streeter on topic Re:Shower sump pump plumbing
Both of our showers drain first to a breadbox sized pan, and then is plumbed back into the sink in the head. Switch is water proof and has on/off/auto settings. The sump water goes immediately overboard, and you know that the float switch and pump are functioning as you are showering. The AC in the main salon also flows to the same forward head sump box.

Free N Clear
Whitby 42, #70

More
9 years 3 months ago #952 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Re:Shower sump pump plumbing
Our forward head is plumbed like Deb's, with a small sump plumbed to the head sink drain hose. Search for 'shower sump' at West Marine for examples of the sump. They have a filter in them to keep hair out of the pump. We don't use the aft head for showers so it is not plumbed at all.

Scott
Joie de Vivre

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #3041 by Brad Luellen
Replied by Brad Luellen on topic Shower sump pump plumbing
I know this topic is really old, but my question fits into it.

Originally, did the showers both drain into the bilge?? I am the new owner of Brewer 44 hull #286, and neither of my showers are plumbed. I can see where a sump pump was installed in the aft head (under the sink in the engine compartment), but I can't see where the discharge went. Did it go directly into the bilge?

As an option, can sump pumps be installed and plumbed into the sink drains in either head for a direct overboard discharge? I would think this would be the easiest answer, but just want to make sure that there wouldn't be any problems with it.

Regards,

Brad.

More
8 months 4 weeks ago #3083 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Shower sump pump plumbing
Brad, welcome aboard and congrats on the new boat!

Originally, I expect neither shower drain was plumbed unless the buyer requested (and paid) for it.

It is typical for the shower drain to be plumbed to a small sump which would be plumbed to the sink drain as you describe.

Scott
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad Luellen

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #3086 by Brad Luellen
Scott,

When you say they weren't originally plumbed....what do you mean? I would assume they would have to drain somewhere, but where did it go??

But yes, the owner gave me the Whale sump for the aft shower, which I have rebuilt. I was going to replace it in the spot where it was, but couldn't find where the outlet went. Is why I assumed that they must have been using the bilge as the outlet.

So, in my example, I just need to get a T fitting and run the outlet of the sump into the sink drain? That is completely acceptable??

Regards,

Brad

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #3088 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Shower sump pump plumbing
Brad, I believe the default arrangement for the shower drains was just a pan under the teak grate in the floor of the head. The pan had a hole at the lowest point and that hole just drained into the bilge for the bilge pumps to handle. This adds hair and soap scum to the bilge which is bad for the bilge pumps and contributes to boat smell.

The typical upgrade is to add a shower sump to catch the run off from the pan (gravity fed) before it gets into the bilge. The shower sump contains a float switch and a small electric pump to pump the contents up to a point above the water line and typically connects high up to the sink drain. I suppose it could alternately go directly overboard via a thru hull that is always above the waterline on any heel.

Something like this shower sump from Rule is probably very similar to your Whale shower sump. I'm not recommending this one over another, just giving an example...
www.westmarine.com/buy/rule-industries--...em--P011_331_001_508

We don't shower in the aft head so the default shower pan with a hole is still there. Our forward head is plumbed with a shower sump similar to the one linked above and has worked for many years. I did replace the float switch and pump in it a couple years ago. I've been meaning to rethink the plumbing from the pan to the sump to improve the gravity feed. It's current circuitous route has a tendency to get plugged up.

Scott
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad Luellen

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #3089 by Brad Luellen
Scott,

Thanks for the info, I just didn't realize they just let if flow to the bilge like that. Both of my shower pans have hoses running off them. The previous owner said they never used the forward shower, so he never connected it to anything. My aft shower stall has the hose running into the engine compartment where the sump was previously mounted, which is just adjacent to the sink drain line.

My Whale pump is this:

www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?C...riendlyID=Gulper-220

There is a switch in the head that you turn on when you get in the shower to activate the pump. If I have problems with this set up, I may adjust to the pan option in a few years. The previous owner gave me the Whale pump when we did the paperwork, and I just rebuilt it for a few bucks. If it lasts a few years, great deal.

Thanks for the insight. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't about to do something that would cause me anguish when if I tied into the sink drain. It is also good to know I need to go as high as possible in the sink drain line.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds