Composting toilet

More
9 years 9 months ago #684 by Roy Belcher
Composting toilet was created by Roy Belcher
Has anyone converted their forward head to the composting toilet? We have holding tank issues, but usually only have the forward head on the holding tank. Powerboat friends just went to the composting toilet, and like it. No Holding Tank Odor. So we're looking to try it, but would love to hear of anyone who has tried it.

Roy B.
S/V Serenade

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #685 by Dan Pedersen
Replied by Dan Pedersen on topic Re:Composting toilet
We have a Natureshead composting toilet in our forward head and it is pretty good. The one issue we have is that when mounted on the pedastal, the seat height is high and we have to have an 8 inch block of wood on the floor to rest feet on when using the toilet. This will eventually be solved by a fold down step, but that is way down on the project list as the block of wood works. We have had a few issues getting the moisture content of the compost proper, but these have been pretty minor issues. When things are working correctly, you walk into the bathroom and smell moist dirt, kind of like walking into a greenhouse.

As a quick summary, if I had to do this again I would.

Dan

More
9 years 9 months ago #689 by Rick Middleton
Replied by Rick Middleton on topic Re:Composting toilet
We installed a Nature's Head in our aft head this fall. We purchased the unit last summer and temporarily "installed" it in the basement for a trial. The company sells an AC adapter for the fan and we ran some vent tubing to the outside. We were pleased with the results and replaced the aft head in the fall. The discharge hose and water feed lines were capped off and left in place in case we changed our minds. I built a small support base as the unit does extend out past the existing base, and a step stool to help getting onto the "throne". We have been living aboard full time and are very pleased with the product. We also went through a learning curve with regards to moisture content, too much and the unit begins to smell (probably from a lack of aerobic bacteria) and too little and the filter in front of the vent fan clogs with dust. We empty the unit after about 3 weeks. There is a bit of an earthy smell when the unit is open. We just recently switched from using peat moss to ground coconut husks (coir). The coir is virtually odorless, very light and the dried bricks it comes in are easily stored. We are planning on replacing the forward head and removing the holding tank and sanitation hoses...any volunteers?

More
9 years 8 months ago #746 by Roy Belcher
Replied by Roy Belcher on topic Re:Composting toilet
Thanks for the replies. It's been a while, but we are proceeding. It would be nice to see how your installation fits. I'm in New England. Would you be up for a visit, if you are close enough for me to drive? I could help with removal of old system. Or, would pictures be available?
Roy B.
S/V Serenade
W-42@yahoo.com

More
9 years 8 months ago #747 by Rick Middleton
Replied by Rick Middleton on topic Re:Composting toilet
We are currently in Boot Key Harbor Marathon, FL and are planning to cross to the Bahamas. I posted a few pictures in the photo gallery. The support under the liquids container is attached to the pan, then we have a separate foot stool for boarding the throne and foot support. The only work involved in the install is the mounting of two L brackets, running a continuous DC supply and cutting holes for the vent line. NaturesHead comes with a flange for the outside support of the vent line and I covered the hole with a clam shell. I mentioned before we have started using coir instead of peat moss. I ordered the bricks from gardeners.com, about $30 for 10 bricks. The bricks are cut in half and sealed in plastic. We use 3 half bricks but hydrate them with only about a liter of water, much less than recommended. This allows the bricks to expand but they still have the ability to absorb moisture from the waste.

More
9 years 8 months ago #748 by Roy Belcher
Replied by Roy Belcher on topic Re:Composting toilet
Thanks for the good photos. Seeing your installation helps a lot.

Enjoy the Bahamas. We hope to get there next year.

Safe journey

Roy B.
S/V Serenade

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds