Thruhull/Seacock Question

More
3 days 6 hours ago #3363 by Kevin Asbury
Thruhull/Seacock Question was created by Kevin Asbury
Just purchased 73 42 Ketch. Sink won't drain in galley. I located seasick and it has screw handle on one side and lever to open/close on other. What is purpose of screw fitting as I can move it in and out with no problems. I have never seen a seasick of this type. I think it is original brass unit. Thanks Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 days 5 hours ago #3364 by Steven Lott
Replied by Steven Lott on topic Thruhull/Seacock Question
A photo would be handy.

We've had two oysters growing inside two of our through hulls. You either need to dive under (in clear water) with a screwdriver to force them out, or haul out and bust them up.

The big bronze fittings have a big bronze handle to open and close. That much is clear from your description.

There should be two square headed screws on each side of the base. When you remove these, you can replace it with a zerk fitting and use it to force grease into the sea cock. Do this annually. Don't leave the zerk fitting in place (they can corrode and leak.)

(If you take them apart during haul-out, keep the parts for each seacock together. Don't mix them up, they're not always interchangeable.)

More
3 days 4 hours ago #3366 by Kevin Asbury
Replied by Kevin Asbury on topic Thruhull/Seacock Question
Thanks Steve,
I plan on pulling boat and servicing all seacocks when I paint the bottom. Lucky for me the seacock was open and once I poured boiling water down the sink and plunged all came free. Big blob of grease in hoses I guess. Is there a particular grease you recommend?

Thanks again,

Kevin

More
3 days 3 hours ago #3368 by Steven Lott
Replied by Steven Lott on topic Thruhull/Seacock Question
Any below-the-waterline marine grease will do.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds