Grunnert Versimatic refridgeration

• Robert Strickland
  • Robert Strickland's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #634 by Robert Strickland
Grunnert Versimatic refridgeration was created by Robert Strickland
Has anyone converted a versimatic system to a 12 volt motor. We have the original Grunnert system on Allegria(199) and it works very well in keeping the boxes cold, but the versimatic aternator is fried and we don't like having to run the engine everyday anyway. We are exploring options and if we can remove the 90 volt compressor motor and replace it with 12volts it would be great. Has anyone tried this? We have recently installed solar and wind power generation equipment and are interested in reducing engine time. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #635 by Roy Belcher
Replied by Roy Belcher on topic Re:Grunnert Versimatic refridgeration
Dee, I'm also interested in finding a solution to convert my 110 V Grunnert to 12V. I have been using a Honda gas generator to run the Grunnert for an hour each day, but it's noisy and inconvenient. The folks I've talked to at the boat shows always seem to think that the older compressors demand too much amperage to run efficiently on battery power, so they recommend replacement with a new, smaller compressor and keel cooler. But then, they are selling new systems.

I'll look around to see what I can find on this subject.

Roy B.
S/V Serenade
W-42#45

More
9 years 11 months ago #636 by Randy Robinson
Replied by Randy Robinson on topic Re:Grunnert Versimatic refridgeration
We are up in Michigan getting Sinbad ready to cut the dock lines in Aug. I have a working [great] Grunnert 110 volt system that I'm getting ready to pull out and put in a Cool Blue 12 volt system in it's place. I've allready traped the refrigerant in the compressor and I'm getting ready to break and cap off the lines to the plates. Email me if you are interested in it.
ranman713@comcast.net
Randy Robinson
S/V Sinbad #134

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #639 by Lew Streeter
Replied by Lew Streeter on topic Re:Grunnert Versimatic refridgeration
After having had a new 110 volt system with hold over plates built when we purchased Free N Clear and discovering that I really hated running the generator twice a day every day and that unless we were at a dock we could not leave the boat for more than 3 days or we would loose what ever was in the fridge and freezer.
Who said education is free.

We now have 2 Nova kool systems, one for the refrigerator and one for the freezer. They are 12 volt units with evaporator plates (much more efficient). They do use the little Danfoss compressors that are variable speed and air cooled. Yes, the heat exchanger in the water is more efficient but the air cooled cost much less and no haul out or electrolysis to worry about.
As far as converting your old systems to a 12 volt compressor you will find that yes, it is possible, but you have to have a very large source of electricity as these will run at least 50% of the time and draw 40 t0 60 amps - not a good choice. In addition your older units are probably filled with R-12 which is very expensive here in the states if you can find it.
So to sum it up you are better off with a 12 volt evaporator plate system (12" X 34") that can be purchased for about $1000.00 and installed yourself. Also you will find that these units only draw on low speed 3.5 amps which you can easily supply with solar and no noise - but hard ice cream and cold beer. Hooray!!!!!!!
If you need information where to purchase these systems just go to their web page for dealers in your area.
Lew

Lew Streeter
Free N Clear
Hull #70
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Deborah Streeter.

• Robert Strickland
  • Robert Strickland's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #640 by Robert Strickland
Replied by Robert Strickland on topic Re:Grunnert Versimatic refridgeration
Lew and others, Thanks for the replies. I went to the St Pete Boat Show this past weekend prepared to buy a couple of frigiboat systems to replace the old grunnert system we have. I attended a couple of seminars and some one stated that the new systems with evaporator plates max out at around 10 cubic feet of space for the cool box or freezer. We also heard that it is possible to use a 12 volt motor to power the grunnert compressor for about the same 24 hr amp total because the hold over system only need to run 1-2 hours a day. Any thoughts on that?
Also did you modify your box size or insulation when you installed the new system?

More
9 years 11 months ago #642 by Lew Streeter
Replied by Lew Streeter on topic Re:Grunnert Versimatic refridgeration
We added 1.5" of foil backed rigid foam sheets to the inside of the fridge and freezer. The freezer stays at 5 degrees and the fridge 33 degrees. I personally would not spend the extra on Fridgeaboat as we actually had to replace the one Fridgeaboat that we had as the couplers failed and it never worked correctly since and finally failed, lucky the freezer was almost mt.
Lew

Lew Streeter
Free N Clear
Hull #70

More
9 years 11 months ago #643 by Dave Kuchenbecker
Replied by Dave Kuchenbecker on topic Re:Grunnert Versimatic refridgeration
Roy

How big a generator do you use. We have a 2kw and can't always get the generator to power the refrigeration. Sometimes it will.

Dave Kuchenbecker

Dream Ketcher

More
9 years 11 months ago #644 by Roy Belcher
Replied by Roy Belcher on topic Re:Grunnert Versimatic refridgeration
Dave,

Our Honda is a 2KW and sometimes the start-up draw is too great for the gnereator and it trips the breaker. When that happens, a second or third try rarely works. I usually have to wait a while for the thing to cool down, or dissipate the pressure. As long as the unit is cool, it usually starts right up, and most of the time in New England, one hour per day is enough. I have looked at a few 12V motors, and for a new one, $450 is the best price I've found. If that's the price, I think Lew's solution makes more sense. I just hate to tear out those big holding plates. We reduced the size of our freezer by about 25% by filling the bottom with foam insulation and that really improved the efficiency.

Roy B.

More
9 years 9 months ago #687 by Dave Kuchenbecker
Replied by Dave Kuchenbecker on topic Re:Grunnert Versimatic refridgeration
ALL
we have a timer built into the Grunert/Crosby refrigeration for use in the engine driven mode. There is a small micro switch on the face of the timer that is multi position. I can find no referance to the timer in any of our paper work, other than a referance in the correspondance between the first owner and the manufacturer talking about recommended RPM range fror running the engine driven compressor and that the timer was added to prevent owners from running to long.

My questions is the functions of the micro switch on the timer. I believe that it is a 3 position micro switch. we haven 't touched it. The refer systems seems to run till the plates reach a target temp and then shuts down. Any ideas about the micros switch and what the other positions might do.

thanks
Dave on Dream Ketcher 1981 W 42.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds