Grunert Problem.

More
6 years 1 week ago #1947 by Vincent LoRusso
Grunert Problem. was created by Vincent LoRusso
Ten years of fine performance from my 110ac Grunert refrigeration but no more.

When I turn it on the breaker flips off in less than a second. I know nothing about the system and the manual I have is of little help. Power is getting to the solenoid and I have by-passed the thermoset switch at the solenoid so both the solenoid and the switch appear to be okay. Also, a distinct hum or buzz occurs before the breaker flips off and the fan turns a few times.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Does this mean the compressor is dead? Does anyone know a Grunert man in Turkey?

Thank you Forum,
Vincent LoRusso
s/v Horizons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 week ago #1950 by Frederick Chance
Replied by Frederick Chance on topic Grunert Problem.
Sounds to me like your compressor is shot. It is either locked up or is drawing such high current while attempting to start that it pops the breaker. Have you been able to get very close to the compressor to carefully listen as you have someone else turn on the breaker? Is yours one that is belt driven or self contained? probably all inclosed. Try tapping on it with a plastic mallet Don't beat on it but you might be able to free up the seized bearing on the shaft. Tap on it as the breaker is switched on. It is probably outlived its usefull life. Consider going to a Frigaboat or Isotherm 12 volt unit after adding additional insulation to increase its efficiency. I do realize that you are in a difficult location to get replacement parts/new equipment.. Good luck Fred Brewer 44 Hull 281

More
6 years 1 week ago #1952 by Vincent LoRusso
Replied by Vincent LoRusso on topic Grunert Problem.
Thank You Fred,

I believe you are correct, the compressor is gone. Tapping the compressor with breaker on is the only thing I have not tried yet.

Your help is very much appreciated,
Vince

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds