Crosby-Grunnert issues.

• Dave Kuchenbecker
  • Dave Kuchenbecker's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago #1417 by Dave Kuchenbecker
Crosby-Grunnert issues. was created by Dave Kuchenbecker
Refrigeration system worked great for the year we lived aboard. After sitting for 18 months we are having issues. The dc breaker flips after about 20 seconds. Happened 3 times and don't want to do any damage so thought I would ask the questions first. Any ideas. Thanks to all the great experience available here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #1418 by Greg Temple
Replied by Greg Temple on topic Re: Crosby-Grunnert issues.
Since the refer was working when you shut it down 18 mos. ago, I would be very suspicious of loose and/or corroded connections. You could measure the voltage at the compressor to be sure you are getting 12+ volts. The breaker could trip if the current draw is high due to low voltage. I would check all the connections between and including the 12v breaker to the compressor. Are your house batteries good? Are you running from shore power via a charger? Is the breaker good?

Hope this helps,
Greg Temple
My Destiny

• Dave Kuchenbecker
More
7 years 9 months ago #1419 by Dave Kuchenbecker
Replied by Dave Kuchenbecker on topic Re: Crosby-Grunnert issues.
House Batteries are good. am running from shore power. My system has a dc circulation pump to cool the compressor I guess. I have found the pump in the bilge, It has power to the pump although it is only at 9 volts. Is it possible that the pump is okay but wouldn't turn over at 9 volts. I suspect that the DC pump is bad.

More
7 years 9 months ago #1420 by Greg Temple
Replied by Greg Temple on topic Re: Crosby-Grunnert issues.
Yes, the pump must work for the compressor to function. It sounds like you may have found out why the refer is shutting down. I'm concerned that you measure 9v. With shore power charging your batteries you should have at least 11+ volts at any time. I'm still suspicious of the connections or wiring. That's a lot of voltage drop for the distance - and at no load. Try running 12v directly to the motor and also determine where the cooling water is discharged and make a regular check for flow if possible.

Another thought as some systems use a pump which must be below the waterline to function. Be sure there is no valve that is closed which would prevent the pump from getting sea water.

Sounds like you are getting close.

Greg.

• Dave Kuchenbecker
More
7 years 9 months ago #1422 by Dave Kuchenbecker
Greg

Thanks for your guidance, I did a little work on the wiring and you were right there was a little corrosion there. I now get 12 volts. THe motor in the circulation pums was shot. Long story and ned a beer to get the full effect. Lookinfg for a replacement pump now then will have to see if the rest of the refrigeration system works.

Dave

• Dave Kuchenbecker
More
7 years 9 months ago #1435 by Dave Kuchenbecker
After being away from the nboat for 18 months I am a little fuzzy on the recommend engine RPMS are for running theEngine driven compressor for the Grunert/Crosby compressor.

More
7 years 9 months ago #1437 by Kevin Taylor
Replied by Kevin Taylor on topic Re: Crosby-Grunnert issues.
The compressor itself should not exceed:
75ED 2,500 RPM
150ED 1,500 RPM

The clutch and pulley should be set up so that this works at normal cruising speed. The manual gives the correct ratios. Let me know if you would like me to email it to you.

--Kevin

• Dave Kuchenbecker
More
7 years 9 months ago #1438 by Dave Kuchenbecker
Kevin

I don't have the manual. If you have a digital copy I would love to get a copy. just email it to dkuchen1@gmail.com.

thanks

Dave

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds