Installing a hot water tank under aft 1/4 berth

• Steve & Jen Alexander
  • Steve & Jen Alexander's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #2596 by Steve & Jen Alexander
Installing a hot water tank under aft 1/4 berth was created by Steve & Jen Alexander
Hello,

I'm looking into installing an Isotherm slim 5.3 Gal hot water tank under the aft port side berth. In order to get the isotherm in the space I will have to cut away some of the floor under the top section (the blue tape in the pic is the outline of the new opening I will need) and make the access to the lower section larger. My concern is this fiberglass is very thick - about 3/4" and might be part of the structural rigidity of the hull. There is already a small opening in the aft portion and I will need to approximately double this size.

Does anybody know if this is structural and if opening this up would cause any potential issues?

Thank you,

Steve
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Steve & Jen Alexander. Reason: better explanation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #2597 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Installing a hot water tank under aft 1/4 berth
I would have no concern cutting away that much of the liner. On most boats you will find parts of the liner cut away for various reasons. It has never been an issue to my knowledge.

Gerry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve & Jen Alexander

• Steve & Jen Alexander
  • Steve & Jen Alexander's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 4 months ago #2598 by Steve & Jen Alexander
Replied by Steve & Jen Alexander on topic Installing a hot water tank under aft 1/4 berth
Thanks Gerry, that's what I thought but the thickness made me second guess. My reasoning being why would it be so thick if it weren't structural? Especially considering how boat builders tend to cut corners wherever they can. But I'm probably leaving enough behind anyhow.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds