Brewer 42

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3236 by DAVID JONES
Brewer 42 was created by DAVID JONES
Hello. this is the first time I'm posting. I'm not an owner, but with luck I may become the owner of a Brewer 42. I'm going to go see the boat next week. If it passes my first pass inspection, Ill then move to the next level of getting a surveyor, pull the boat out of the water and all that. This is not my first rodeo...

I would like to hear from anyone with experience with this boat if there are things specific to this boat that I should be on the lookout for while inspecting. I'm pretty excited with this prospect as this boat looks fantastic for living on. I'm planning to retire onto the boat in about 2 years. I've been a sailor pretty much my whole life. Can't think of a better retirement option! At least for as long as I can keep sailing...

Any and all suggestions are most welcome. Thank you.

dj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3240 by Jim phillips
Replied by Jim phillips on topic Brewer 42
Ok here goes, we spent 4 weekends surveying a Brewer 42 before buying our Whitby. We loved the Brewer cockpit as the stepdown ladder is lower than the Whitby. The issue was it had a dead motor and was in the Miami area, Would have to pay Sea Tow to get to a travel lift and then a surveyor.
1) standing rigging, check all of it top to bottom
2) Running rigging and sails, note the age and go over the sails... every inch.
3) Engine, the Lehmans in my mind are best.
4) House bank and generator, you have t really run a generator and push t to see if it is ok, ours is and our neighbors a Westerbeake engine ran good and the windings were bad.
5) Sound the hull, top to bottom, this will make you a believer in the boat, construction in the glass is awesome. Dive the boat, that will tell you a bunch about the maintenance schedule.
Rigging, do the cotton ball test for meathooks and if it is rod rigging be extra careful.
Furler, many can be rebuilt, especially ProFurl, yours probably has two as a cutter rig.
As with all sailboats check each fuel tank, it is worth the time to pull the inspection hatches. I had to recycle 75 gallons of bad fuel from on saddle tank and all from the keel tank.
If you can on a sea trail or run trail, I would advise is a fuel consumption test, do a timed run at full throttle and when you come back pull the inspection plate and fill back to a marker you pre-set, I use a wood stick. It should be in the 1.25 GPH'ish range, higher can mean a lot of bad things. Also if you go to the boat and are lucky that it has old oil, you can pull a oil sample and have it tested. Repowers are hard and costly, I made this mistake. But Lehman parts are out there and a rebuilt lehman is a gem in my mind. Also make sure the engine has a loop, I hear about a ton of engines that get sea waterinside, when the head was pulled on the Brewer we looked at the salt water had ruined the engine.
Check every locker for mold, it will tell you a bunch about deck fittings, hatches and ports... leaks. Make a system list as you go, water tanks, water heater, bildge pumps, etc. and then test and see if each works after you make the list. You get so excited that you see the gear and discount if it works and condition. If it has electric winches, windlass, etc. run them and hard.
Note the location of every through hull and with approval try each, or better let the owner show you they work.
Man I hope this helps and this website is full of great people and experts, they will help you and these are great boats.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3241 by DAVID JONES
Replied by DAVID JONES on topic Brewer 42
Hmm, don't see how to quote you. But in any case, a huge thank you for the response!

Tanks do have me worried. I will find them all.

It appears to be a sloop, not a cutter. I'm guessing it was changed at some point. What do you think of that?

Great point on checking lockers...

I haven't found much on this site about deck problems. I'm thinking maybe it is not common? I'm going to look with a hammer and moisture meter anyway.

This boat has a beta marine, fairly new. I've heard good things about them, Thoughts?

I will report back next week, well, unless I;m in negotiations to buy. Then you might just have to wait with a full purchase report.. LOL ... Of course, I'm hoping that's the case!

Thanks again!

dj

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3242 by Jim phillips
Hey one more thing my wife pointed out, note each batteries age, the house bank, starter banks, etc. and how many you have, and the charge/inverter, those are all high ticket items with tight expiration dates. Also before you buy check the back of the fridge/fridges that will show you how much life they have, same with the AC/Air. If it has cold plates the compressor will probably be in the engine room.
Cheers,
Jim

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3243 by DAVID JONES
OK, I'ma wiz with batteries, but how the heck do you check the back of fridges and AC's to know how much life they have? Also, its already stated the refrigeration doesn not work. They have put in a front loading fridge. I'll probably be looking to remove it and get the original refrigeration working.

What kind of expiration dates can I expect on the chargers/inverters? Like if less than 5 years old, ok, older bad.... or ...????

dj

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3244 by Jim phillips
Sloop or cutter, both good as she points higher than a Whitby, I have heard the cutter is more balanced, I know a bowsprit on a Whitby adds balance. That would never be a deal breaker to me or much of a concern? More concerned is to see if she has a stay sail track already?
Also light air sails and spinnaker pole.

I sounded every inch of the deck and found zero soft, trust me I have rebuilt soft decks and cockpits, the glass work is outstanding. Sound around stanchions, I found a tad of water in the bow, because of bad sealing.

The hammer never lies and I have seen bad moisture readings, not a pro on that, Sounding a Whitby or Brewer is amazing and I have sounded great boats.

I think Beta Marine engines are great and that is a great upgrade you will not have to pay for. Owners do love Lehmans.

Great boats! We modified the stern quarters and have a queen, plus the heads are perfect size. Best of luck and Godspeed!

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3245 by Jim phillips
If the back of the fridge is a rusty mess, its usually done. Newer chargers and inverters, look at the model and do a eBay search, that will tell you how much life is left in the gear if its not currently sold.
Look at the coil on the AC, usually a second lint screen, if it is plugged up with crud, which they do in salt areas, not much life left. Also the water exiting the hull should be hot or warm to be cooling properly.

Front loading fridges like Isotherm can pull out, usually without to much fuss to check, the back and compressor will tell you a lot.. The control modules can be a beast as they get older, we just pitched one, as did our friend on his boat. Normal considering the use.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3246 by DAVID JONES
I'll look for a staysail track. I'm told the deck has no soft spots. But will check. Moisture meters can be fluky, but are a great tool. Used judiciously with a hammer and that's an inspection! I think the Beta's are supposed to be more fuel efficient than the Lehmans? But the Lehmans are tanks!

Did you make the stern bed vertical instead of crossways as it's currently in this boat? If not, how do you like the orientation? I'll have about two years, if I get this boat this year, to get it ready for my retirement. I did like the looks of the heads. At first was skeptical of the two heads as I've always felt you only need one. But the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking having two heads the way these are laid out might be really nice actually. I do hope my daughters, and their significant others, do come to visit me in beautiful far off lands... once I get there... In which case, I think that 2 heads might just be fine... hahahaha

dj

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3247 by Jim phillips
We extended it out over the Vee storage, the door still opens and its almost a King. Our boat has New Found Metals Ports, a great thing and look to see what you have.

Tow heads is awesome, especially the stern and it can be one overboard and the other composting. Great for people who visit.

I gotta tell you, the Brewer is a awesome boat and I bet you find little to no soft spots, when I put new gear on our Whitby, the deck cores are all dry, and I filled the core with epoxy anywhere I punched through.

Best of luck, and its a great boat!

More
1 month 1 week ago #3251 by DAVID JONES
How many sails do these boats typically carry? And what size head sail is the genoa typically, a 110%? 150%? Any thoughts?

dj

More
1 month 1 week ago #3252 by Jim phillips
Wow, how many sails is a tough question. The one we almost bought had a furler mounted genoa and my guess was the foot was 26 ish?

It also had a mainsail with three reef points, a spinnaker and a drifter. The side of the mast if I recall correctly had a slider mount for a trysail and it looked like they cleated the foot on both sides, aft of the cockpit. Not to the boom. There was not a cutter rig but my guess is most are?
Ask the entire forum and they will give you the sail plan, also Google Brewer 12.8 Sailrite and it will show you sails, found it to be pretty accurate.

More
1 month 1 week ago #3253 by DAVID JONES
Jim,

I really appreciate all the time you've taken to answer my questions. I didn't know about the Sailrite web site, that was a great resource! They only show a ketch.

Thanks again, I"m hopefully seeing the boat this Thursday, if all goes to plan.

dj

More
1 month 6 days ago #3255 by Jim phillips
dj,

No worries, yeah the illistration is a ketch but if you look at the sails and cuts, its a sloop. You will notice no mizzen, so its a great start.
Man I hope she is a good boat and a great deal! I'm driving 12 hrs down and 12 hrs back to get our Whitby ready for a hurricane as it looks like a direct hit in Florida, is a com'in?
Cheers,
Jim

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #3281 by Jim phillips
David, I am dying to know, did you buy the Brewer 12.8 (42)?

Best,
Jim

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #3282 by DAVID JONES
I have not been able to go see it due to the fact that Florida is on New York's "bad state" list. So we are in conversations and I'm hoping to go see the boat in November, if Florida gets lifted from the list of "bad states". So I'm still hoping, but don't know yet.

dj

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #3283 by DAVID JONES
I did get a remote phone video conference type walk through. It's a nice looking boat but seems to need a fair bit of major work, like all the standing rigging but I'm definitely interested. I do have to see the boat in person and then see what needs doing.I guess I should say, wish me luck! LOL

dj

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #3284 by Jim phillips
I bet I know that boat if the rigging is rod rigging and it has a blown hydraulic back stay adjuster! I bet I can walk you through every detail.
Hit me up and we can talk, love to help

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #3285 by DAVID JONES
I don't think that's the same boat. But I would love to chat. How would be do that?

dj

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #3286 by Jim phillips
Sorry, I thought you could see my profile being a member.

Go to vintageouterbanks.com or rocketadvertising and enter your email and I will send you a email with my phone.

Thanks
Jim

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #3287 by DAVID JONES
Done.

dj

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds