Whitby 42 purchase

More
3 years 11 months ago #2487 by Michael
Whitby 42 purchase was created by Michael
Hi all,
I am new on here and found a 1981 Whitby 42 outside of the US for sale.

According to the hull no its a boat build in Fort Myers with 80 HP Ford Lehman engine with 4,000 hours on.
She is sitting on hard for roughly two years and has been cruising the Pacific before.

Beside the standard pre-survey check up, I would appreciate to get some tips what to look on this model
especially work intensive and expensive repairs which may be necessary or usually occur at this age.
And/or five years of cruising and two years of sitting on hard.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2493 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Whitby 42 purchase
Hi Weber

The later models have less issues. Certainly nothing that will require extensive repairs. Buy Casey's This Old Boat, www.amazon.com/dp/B0013TRRNK/ref=dp-kind...encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Check;
Rudder
Base of mizzen (support).
fuel tanks
Chainplates.
Rig

Be prepared to replace the standing rigging and the chainplates, unless its been done in the last 10 years. This are not optional extras.

As with all old boats, hire a surveyor with a good reputation and a bad attitude to give you an extensive survey (warts and all). With that, come back to us with specific questions and we will help. Everything has been done before.

Gerry

More
3 years 11 months ago #2495 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Whitby 42 purchase
It seems to be the first boat completed in Fort Myers. Records are saying that the hull has been shipped from Canada.
So it has hull and deck connected with rivets. Unfortunately the optional bolts hadn't been chosen.

I have been told that the chain plates are leaking a bit.

Other reviews have been addressing the topics you mentioned. Especially rudder fuel tanks and mizzen mast base.
Any idea about cost to repair?

Thanks a lot Gerry.

Michael

More
3 years 11 months ago #2496 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Whitby 42 purchase
Hi Michael

Firstly check out this post about the "rivet" myth. Your hull to deck is heavily bonded with a mash of epoxy/polyester. Its not going anywhere.

Hull to deck joint

Go at the chain plates. The area where the leaking does most damage is the shrouds on the mizzen, in the aft cabin. Replace the chainplates and seal up the deck.

Chainplates

Costs in the boat business are a factor of how much money you have and how much work you can do your self. I always tell boat buyers that if you haven't got 10% of the purchase price (20% if you get the boat very cheap), IN CASH to get the boat functional, you have no business buying the boat in the first place.

Gerry

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds