Fuel tank labels

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #2834 by Frank
Fuel tank labels was created by Frank
Hello, our 1974 Whitby has its center tank wrecked, still don't know what to do with it, but our S and P tanks looked good so we had them burnished inside, acetone cleansed and then coated with epoxy. As new. But then we had a survey done so as to get a good insurance quote and the surveyor took note that we were missing the tank labels as instructed in "ABYC fuel system labeling H24" (though I looked it up and H24 is for gasoline while H33 is for diesel). Anyhow, no labels, anyone have any clues or suggestions as to how to overcome this request? Is it necessary on such an old boat? thanks to all, F&F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #2835 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Fuel tank labels
Labels....? My fuel gauge selector is labeled for port and starboard. My selector valves are also labeled. Hoses are labeled with flow direction. Tank fills are labeled "diesel". Or do you mean labels on the tank itself? Sorry, I didn't read the ABYC reg cited.

We bought a small label maker when we first bought the boat.

Scott

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #2837 by Scott Lee
I just received word from John Cece (retired Coastie, former Whitby owner and treasured font of knowledge) that he is investigating the tank labeling question and hopes to have an answer within week or so.

Scott

More
1 year 11 months ago #2854 by John Cece
Replied by John Cece on topic Fuel tank labels
Hmmmmmm....what to say....

Diesel fuel tanks (as well as gasoline tanks) are regulated by the Coast Guard (33 CFR 183, et al). In addition there is a long list of industry guidelines/standards,
e.g. ABYC (H-33). Applicable regulations and guidelines depend upon the end-use of the tank.....e.g., recreational vessels having fewer requirements than commercial vessels.

Since the Whitby 42 was built in Canada, in the late '70s and early '80s they weren't subject to the US requirements, which were in their infancy. I don't know when the "tank label"
requirement was instituted; further, I am not aware of any grandfather clause related to diesel tanks. Certainly, it would be nice if the tanks met all of the US requirements, and that
the supporting data were readily available, and the tank(s) labelled....the label containing the minutia of materials, manufacturing details and tests so as to meet all of the
requirements.

As to your Whitby, and its diesel fuel tank....because of its age and where it was built, you my never be able to obtain all of the detailed information to certify that the diesel tank meets these requirements. We purchased
our Whitby (#195) in 1999, and none of its tanks were labelled. Subsequently, we replaced the center tank, and installed a label that contains "most" of the required data. Neither when we purchased the Whitby, nor when we sold her,
did the surveyor make any mention that the tanks were not labelled.

Depending on the status of your current survey, I would recommend some or all of the following:

1. Do nothing; don't raise any dust....just wait and see what happens, if anything.

2. do NOT aggravate the surveyor.

3. do NOT aggravate the marine underwriter.

4. do NOT aggravate the insurance company

5. Gather as much data as possible about your tank(s): e.g. Manufacturer: Whitby Boats Works; cap: 55? gal ; material: Aluminum...and mount the incomplete label on the tank. Brian Smith (American Diesel) is the son of
Bob Smith (American Diesel), who was involved in the construction of the Whitby's. Perhaps Brian may have access to some of the Whitby data and manufacturing details which his father may have kept.

6. Collect lots of safety data about the "Whitby42 fleet" and present the results to the marine underwriter of your insurance company. A good marine underwriter (may have already learned that the
Whitby42 is a very safe boat) will be able to sift through the data. This may give the insurance company a fuzzy feeling so that they are willing to take the risk of insuring your Whitby. If this doesn't work, look for another, but larger
insurance company.

Good Luck: JMC

More
1 year 11 months ago #2858 by Scott Lee
John asked me to share this photo of a typical fuel tank label (not from a Whitby/Brewer).

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds