Brewer single throttle/shift control

More
8 years 6 months ago #1247 by Martin Gaffney
Brewer single throttle/shift control was created by Martin Gaffney
Help Please. My boat is Brewer #10 1984 Fort Meyers. It has a single lever throttle and gear shift lever which looks like a Morse but has no Identification marks. My favourite Roatan mechanic took it apart and now I cannot get throtttle above idle in reverse or more than half throttle forward. He fitted new cables at the time he took it apart. The unit has a pull button to disengage the shift. I am wondering if I can find out who made it maybe I can find an exploded drawing online to help problem shoot it. Any thoughts or suggestions will be welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1325 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Re:Brewer single throttle/shift control
Just wondering if you ever got an answer to this - mine is one the fritz as well, am wondering what is the make/ model the existing throttle/ shift control.

He who will not risk cannot win.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1326 by Martin Gaffney
Replied by Martin Gaffney on topic Re:Brewer single throttle/shift control
Doug Stephenson confirmed that it is likely a Morse unit. I gave up playing with my old one and bought a used but very good condition replacement from the boat wreckers. I will fit this November first week with another suitcase load of replacement parts. If I find out what the problem really is i will post on here.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1328 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Re:Brewer single throttle/shift control
Thanks for the quick response. That's what I figured, either that or Teleflex. The defect in mine is obvious, the housing inside the pedestal broke just below the box-like portion that is bolted to the pedestal wall. So the throttle and shift cables are no longer held stationary at the pedestal end, and you can't shift or control the throttle. Also cannot start the motor, as the interlock button is not depressed by the disengaging knob, although you can hold the button in with your hand and bypass that. It broke while we were anchoring last night, as I went to shift into reverse to stop forward motion as the anchor went down, the boat instead accelerated full speed ahead, and would not slow down. So I had to cut the motor, then the anchor bit, and we finally did stop. Luckily no other boats around, but we wound up a little closer to shore than I would have chosen to be. Hoping to get that replaced today.

More
6 years 10 months ago #1654 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Re:Brewer single throttle/shift control
I have same problem . Anyone know the replacement model?? Thanks, George
Attachments:

More
6 years 10 months ago #1659 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Brewer single throttle/shift control
Mine was replaced with a Morse CH2100. If you go that route, be aware that there is very little extra room to accommodate this throttle inside the pedestal (my pedestal is the original). The "pros" at Liberty Marina in South River, Edgewater MD made a bit of a mess, made too large a hole in the pedestal, then had to put a vanity plate over the hole to make it look right. The throttle works well enough now, I just wish we could have found a better fit, or best case, a new copy of the original throttle assembly.
GAC

More
6 years 10 months ago #1660 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Brewer single throttle/shift control
Hello from George, after consulting with Teleflex,now seastar , I ordered that one too.

More
6 years 10 months ago #1662 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Brewer single throttle/shift control
I am happy enough with the unit itself, the spoiler for me was the crappy installation job. We wee on a trip and I have never installed one before, so I wasn't up to DIYing it. You may have more luck, or maybe your marina/ mechanic will do a better job. The biggest issue was just that the assembly inside the pedestal is larger than the original throttle assembly, so it must be positioned carefully. The hole will have to be enlarged. If they an apply the template and cut the correct installation hole, and position it so that the existing hole is within the boundary of the new cutout, you will be all set.. The simpletons that did my installation seemed to be bewildered by the prospect o cutting a hole around another hole.

The old Morse throttle was at idle with the lever at 9 oclock, or straight astern. This new throttle is set up with the idle position at 1030, if that makes sense - looking at the pedestal from starboard looking toward the port side, The lever is a lot longer and larger than the old Morse lever.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds