2013 Chesapeake Rendezvous?

• George Chamberlain
  • George Chamberlain's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #1479 by George Chamberlain
2013 Chesapeake Rendezvous? was created by George Chamberlain
Greetings everyone,
It's time to get started planning the 2013 Chesapeake Rendezvous for this fall. A couple of topics to throw out there as we start the planning:

1. Timeframe. Traditionally we have aligned with the Annapolis Sailboat Show, as this allows folks who are looking for new gear to go from the Rendezvous to the Sailboat Show, and it is a good last stop for cruisers headed South. This year, the Sailboat Show is a little later than normal, 10-14 Oct. My first choice for the Rendezvous would be the days before the beginning of the show, or 7-8-9 Oct.

2. Venue. The West River Sailing Club has been a great location and a very accommodating host for the past several years. However, there are renovations planned for this year which might prevent us from using that facility. I've been talking with John Cece about their permit issues and construction schedule, but while we wait for that to resolve it definitely behooves us to look for another venue just in case. You will recall that last fall I asked everyone to take a look at their "home port" to see if there were any suitable alternatives to WRSC. See the thread from Oct 2012 regarding Olverson's Marina on the Yeocomico - that's one alternative, but it has limited berthing for those who attend but don't bring their boat. Another suggestion was Camp Letts, however the rental cost for the pavilion was pretty high. A third might be Corinthian Yacht Club in Smith Creek (near the mouth of the Potomac) - details on that will be forthcoming. And I have 2 suggestions from my conversation with John Cece a few days ago to investigate. Are there other alternatives? Please report back on this forum topic if you have a "local" marina that might be able to host us - with some details on cost, facilities, etc.

3. Cost. We had some expenses in March to get the website debugged and re-opened for business. So the "kitty", such as it is, is not sufficient to offset as much of the Rendezvous costs as in the past. The previous three Rendezous' that I attended cost around $45 per person, plus $5-10 for the slip or mooring (for three or four nights!). That was a great deal while it lasted, but please be prepared to pay a little more for this year's Rendezvous. Especially if we have room rental costs for the venue, and realistic slip costs for boats.

4. Admin - who's going to run the Rendezvous? If you have not heard, Carolynn and I sold our house in Springfield VA and moved to SW Florida right after Christmas, and we moved Indy down here in March-April. I may be working in the fall, and if so I will not be able to run the Rendezvous. Lucky for me (and all of us, really), Gerry O'Donoghue has volunteered to serve as my admin assistant and take charge of the 2013 Rendezvous.

5. Program. If you have an experience, a skill, an adventure, or know someone who does and might be of interest to the group - we need to know about it so we can get you on stage. The best Rendezvous' in the past have been the ones where WE are the program. So don't be shy.

Look for a message from Gerry to get the ball rolling on this, and expect to be pressed into service - this will take all of us to make it a success.

George Chamberlain

He who will not risk cannot win.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• George Chamberlain
  • George Chamberlain's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #1481 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Re:2013 Chesapeake Rendezvous?
John Cece is submitting our request to WRSC to use the facility on 7-8-9 October. Please plan on these dates for the Rendezvous - however, use of the facility is not assured until they decide on the way ahead for their renovation project.

If any of our members have a facility/ marina/ yacht club in their "local waters" on the Chesapeake that could be a suitable host location, please speak up. There were lots of suggestions last fall that we could go to ... or we should look into ... If the WRSC falls through, we will not have time to start all over again. So if you can research and report back on alternative locations reply to this post) it will be most helpful in that eventuality.

GAC

He who will not risk cannot win.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds