Input needed for Rendezvous venue ideas

• George Chamberlain
  • George Chamberlain's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #1346 by George Chamberlain
Input needed for Rendezvous venue ideas was created by George Chamberlain
The 2012 Whitby Brewer Sailboat Association Rendezvous was a great success, and many thanks to John Cece for sponsoring us at the West River Sailing Club once again. If you attended this year, then you already know that there were some conflicts that may force us to seek another location for future events. For those who were not there, the club has policies regarding club members' rights to use the facilities even when they have been reserved.

The club's Commodore, Al Lohman, plans to address the policies that contributed to the conflict we had, and most likely it will all be resolved favorably for us to have the 2013 Rendevous at the West River Sailing Club. However we may have to move the event to another venue - if not in 2013, then in the near future beyond that. So we are looking for members' input and local knowledge to explore other locations.

The low cost, proximity to Annapolis, and the timeframe right before the Sailboat Show (and right before the time to head South if you are lucky enough to do that) are very positive characteristics of the current setup. But if you have another idea - place, time, or otherwise - that you think would work, and would attract member participation, please chime in on this discussion. We'll refer back to this thread as the time comes to begin planning for the 2013 (and future) Rendezvous.

George Chamberlain
INDEFATIGABLE

He who will not risk cannot win.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by George Chamberlain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #1349 by Hannah Gardner
Replied by Hannah Gardner on topic Re:Input needed for Rendezvous venue ideas
First of all, a big shout out to John and Mary Cece for a wonderful string of years of hosting the Rendezvous. They will be a hard act to follow. But, George, we all will pitch in. I figure five or six of us will equal one Mary. :) As for locations, we know that Camp Letts, on the West River just north of WRSC, hosts smaller gatherings than SSCA because there have often been other events happening at the same time as the Gam. Good anchoring, but no dock for big boats, dinghies will be fine. SSCA usually fills it up the weekend before the Boat Show and I know there is a debate about week days versus weekends. When we were working I minded the weekday schedule; now that I am retired, not so much. :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #1351 by Fergus & Carol McLean
Replied by Fergus & Carol McLean on topic Re:Input needed for Rendezvous venue ideas
A suggestion has been made in the Facebook pages that we have multiple rendezvous (or "redezvouzes") in different areas of the country since not everybody can get to the Annapolis meet.
My wife, Carol, has organized two very successful rendezvous (or is that "rendezvouzes") for Westsails in Florida and we were actually considering suggesting one for us Whitby/Brewers for down south since we usually can't make it to the northern one.
We would be willing to organize one in our area, preferably at the end of April/beginning of May next year. Our area would be one of: Daytona Beach, Merritt Island or Port Canaveral.
Would this be of interest to anybody?

• George Chamberlain
More
7 years 9 months ago #1364 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Re:Input needed for Rendezvous venue ideas
Three venue possibilities here - first, I poked around on the Camp Letts website. It appears that their facilities cost $500/day, and there are no docks so all boat would be anchored out (not on moorings). This would limit boat visiting, and the cost would be pretty substantial. Not saying it wouldn't work at all, but it would be a much higher cost and we would get less for it, than we have in the past.
The second, by way of Dale Kramer - he researched Olverson's Marina on the Yeocomico River, which is about 5 miles up the Potomac River from Smith Point. I'll cut and past Dale's email here - DAle considers two options that he researched:

"Option 1:

The best option in the Yeocomico would be Olversons’s Marina. The costs are quite simple. The costs are for the boats staying at the marina and I told him that we usually have 8-10 boats.
The charge is for the boats that are coming to the Rendezvous so I would encourage people to come by boat. Olverson’s charge $1.50 per foot per day with 10 % discount for BoataUS member and another 5% if paid by cash or check. Use of the pavilion and kitchen are included in the slip fee. The pavilion is covered and has picnic tables but open on the sides. Obviously the kitchen is inside. He would need 3 months notice for a reservation to ensure the proper numbers of slips are available.
As far as people coming by car, the only place to stay would be in Tappahannock which is 30 minutes away.
People arriving by boat have the use of courtesy cars for runs to grocery etc. He has 3 and it is done a first come first serve basis."

This looks like it would have potential. It's farther away from Annapolis, but the Rendezvous dates could be adjusted to Monday-Tuesday, depart Wednesday, to allow an extra day to transit for those heading to the boat show. (We wouldn't have the restriction of starting after the weekend.) Cost for a slip would be around $67/night, using 45 ft as an average length, less applicable discounts. Folks arriving by car might be lucky enough to score a v-berth if they have a friend arriving by boat. And food costs could be controlled.

Here is the second part of Dale's email:

"Option 2:

As far as my fathers place goes, he would allow us to use his facility but it would not be very convenient plus you would have to rent porta-potties, grills, tents and chairs. I would use this only as a last resort. Some people might be concerned about the water depth in the cove. Remember it is 5 feet at low tide and could be a little lower if the tide is extremely low. Keels would be in the mud."

Hats off to Dale for asking, but this looks like it would be too hard, and a big imposition on his Dad by the time we set up tents, porta potties, etc. Not to mention the additional overhead costs. Also, I have been to his Dad's dock - we carved a mud furrow on the way in, and we visited while the tide filled in a little so we could get back out. So, not such a great idea, but thanks again to Dale for checking it out.

• George Chamberlain
More
7 years 9 months ago #1365 by George Chamberlain
Replied by George Chamberlain on topic Re:Input needed for Rendezvous venue ideas
A Southern Rendezvous is a great idea, and I appreciate your willingness to organize it. Carolynn and I have been to the Rendezvous at West River Sailing CLub three times, in fact every year that we have owned our Whitby. It has been a great source of information and camaraderie among the association members, and especially a big help to new owners. And the timeframe you suggest is great - just in time for returning cruisers coming north, and early enough that folks who want to attend the Rendezvous in the Chesapeak will be able to do so. Since we are an association with no dues, we don't have deep pockets to fund the gatherings, so participation by lots of members helps to spread the cost and keep the individual gatherings self-funded, which is key. I would definitely encourage people to support a Southern Rendezvous.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds