Hurricane

More
1 month 6 days ago #3256 by Jim phillips
Hurricane was created by Jim phillips
Hey all,

This tropical depression now looks like a hurricane. So I have to drive 12 hours tomorrow, secure the Whitby and then head back the next day due to work... I'm slammed.

We got all of the sails off and I am going to ensure all of the cleats are secure, add chafe gear, lash the boom to the gallows, take off the bimini.

Here is the big question, must I take off the soft dodger? It shields the companionway hatch, covers the hatch above the galley and is old so I am just as concerned will ruin whats left taking it off. I was thinking roll up the center panel for less wind-age and secure it better? The zippers need extenders, so it has air gaps.

Of do I take it off? New fridge freezer is under that hatch under the dodger and is less than stellar, replaced the front hatch with a 60 series Lewmar, have not got to the center hatch and the galley hatch after my wife fell and broke her back... its been crazy. She's healing but I have to do a fast turn 24 hour road trip.

Were at Shell Point Marina, next to St. Marks. Bow into the channel and behind houses as a wind block. I took the steering vane and rudder off the Monitor and brought home the wheel and stowed the anchor below. I am afraid if I take it off it won't stretch back on and we plan to come back the 1900 NM this fall to VA by way of 7 mile Marathon cut this fall if she is healed enough to do the trip.

Thanks All!
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 6 days ago #3257 by Steven Lott
Replied by Steven Lott on topic Hurricane
Reducing windage is essential.

When a line — like a halyard — flogs, the windage is effectively the surface area through which it’s flogging. A ½” halyard that oscillates to create a 6” oval doubles the force on your mast.

If you roll up parts of the dodger, tie them securely.

That’s better than flogging fabric.

If parts of the fabric tear away, that will tend to increase wind age dramatically for a while until it tears away fully.

Do you have a predicted storm surge for the area?

This seems to be what is the most damaging: storm surge lifts boats above dock piling and the lines either work off the pilings or the boat is pulled under.

I think the solution might be very long spring lines.

I’ve seen boats tear the cleats off the docks. And pull out dock boards. So try to secure things to the pickings themselves. When the tornado came through Jackson creek, we broke two pilings. That’s better than the boats that ripped the cleats off the dock.

More
1 month 6 days ago #3258 by Dale Kramer
Replied by Dale Kramer on topic Hurricane
We are in Madisonville.

We double up all lines take down jins and lash min anmizzen.

We open the Dodger so. Wind blows through

More
1 month 5 days ago #3260 by Dale Kramer
Replied by Dale Kramer on topic Hurricane
What everyone else said is what I do. However, where you are located my have the full force of the hurricane.

You might want to move to the Tcefuncte River. Marina Beau Chene is very protected and mght have a temporary slip you can rent. That is where we are located.

The other option is to anchor in stream behind Brady Island. However you will have to move soon if this is your choice.

Dale Kramer
S/V Puffin

More
1 month 3 days ago #3261 by Jim phillips
Replied by Jim phillips on topic Hurricane
Thanks all,
I did everything and the flogging lines really were an issue. Thanks all!

The docks can rise 10 feet and I found from the other cruisers that people rent slips because the canal is three back from the gulf and at a right angle. We also put her bow to the channel to take in to account the strongest wind direction. The storms blowing through are so powerful, I saw three water spouts.
The rain has been brutal, the newfound metal hatches are the real deal as we have had no water in her for the last two months after the accident.
Again thank you all for the help, I had a global sailor come over to help and he mirrored your suggestions. Plus I added chafe gear.
It does help to have another set of eyes on the boat after a 12 hour trip and the same drive the next day back is a tad tough.
I hope this blow misses your boats and families,

Jim

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #3270 by DAVID JONES
Replied by DAVID JONES on topic Hurricane
How did your boat make out?

dj

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #3273 by Jim phillips
Replied by Jim phillips on topic Hurricane
Perfect, turns out the marina with the floating docks that can go up 11 feet had zero issues. We dodged a bullet. Hate what hit them west!

Thanks to all!
Jim and Lisa

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #3276 by DAVID JONES
Replied by DAVID JONES on topic Hurricane
Excellent!

dj

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds