Interior wood

More
3 months 6 hours ago #3091 by Brad Luellen
Interior wood was created by Brad Luellen
Does anyone know the type of wood used for the veneer in the Brewer 44??

Oak, maple, teak??

Regards,

Brad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 days ago #3120 by Brad Luellen
Replied by Brad Luellen on topic Interior wood
Anyone??? Is the species a teak veneer??

More
2 months 1 day ago #3122 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic Interior wood
Teak was probably the most common, but I know at least one boat that was mahogany. Anyone have anything else?

More
2 months 1 day ago #3126 by Brad Luellen

ConejoGrande wrote: Teak was probably the most common, but I know at least one boat that was mahogany. Anyone have anything else?

I am not up on how to tell the difference on the varnished woods. It would be easier if the veneer was just plain at this point, then the wood colors would show through.

I am trying to purchase some plugs to fill some holes in the veneer, and am just trying to get the species correct. I guess I could just buy plugs in both species and do a comparison in the future.

Thanks again!!!

Brad

More
2 months 1 day ago #3127 by Scott Lee

Stinger wrote:
I am not up on how to tell the difference on the varnished woods. It would be easier if the veneer was just plain at this point, then the wood colors would show through.

I am trying to purchase some plugs to fill some holes in the veneer, and am just trying to get the species correct. I guess I could just buy plugs in both species and do a comparison in the future.

Thanks again!!!

Brad

Look around for a bit of wood trim you can remove. Sometimes you can tell by examining the back side. Or an extra piece from something you removed and can strip the varnish away. I keep all the extra little pieces I remove and use them to make my own wood plugs.

More
2 months 1 day ago #3128 by Brad Luellen

ConejoGrande wrote:
Look around for a bit of wood trim you can remove. Sometimes you can tell by examining the back side. Or an extra piece from something you removed and can strip the varnish away. I keep all the extra little pieces I remove and use them to make my own wood plugs.

I may be wrong, but from what I remember (not at the boat ATM), it seemed like the grain on the panel veneers was cross cut on the grain, while most of the solid trim pieces where with the grain.

Additionally, I don't think I could make a plug from the veneers. :)

Thanks again for the help. I guess I'll just buy various plugs in both species of woods and take them with me next time.

Regards,

Brad

More
2 months 17 hours ago #3129 by Scott Lee

Stinger wrote: I may be wrong, but from what I remember (not at the boat ATM), it seemed like the grain on the panel veneers was cross cut on the grain, while most of the solid trim pieces where with the grain.

Additionally, I don't think I could make a plug from the veneers. :)

Thanks again for the help. I guess I'll just buy various plugs in both species of woods and take them with me next time.

Regards,

Brad

I doubt the veneers are cross cut. Also, the back of the veneers may not be the same wood as the front.

Right, plugs would be made from the solid wood trim, not the veneers.

Do you have any pictures of the interior? Someone here may recognize it...

More
2 months 14 hours ago #3130 by Brad Luellen

ConejoGrande wrote:
I doubt the veneers are cross cut. Also, the back of the veneers may not be the same wood as the front.

Right, plugs would be made from the solid wood trim, not the veneers.

Do you have any pictures of the interior? Someone here may recognize it...

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that....since veneers are using an unrolled log. Prior to going to sleep moment.

The photos I currently have of the interior are VERY dark. I wasn't focusing on the walls when I was taking the photos, so they are all just the outer edges of the photos.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #3133 by Robert Horn
Replied by Robert Horn on topic Interior wood
I was told that on our W42, 1975, the wood is Mahogany. Seems much darker than Teak.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #3134 by Brad Luellen

BobH wrote: I was told that on our W42, 1975, the wood is Mahogany. Seems much darker than Teak.

Yeah, based on what has been posted so far I am going to get both teak and mahogany plugs and then varnish them to see which match.

Thanks for the help!!!

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds