Pass Thru Tool Organization

More
3 years 10 months ago #2472 by David Irwin
Pass Thru Tool Organization was created by David Irwin
Hello All,
This off season I started a new approach to tool organization on Comfort, specificly at the passthru counter area. We have had the boat 6 years now and this area has always turned into a flat surface to pile tools in plastic bins and innevidably even going out for a short day trip, if everything wasn't placed on a berth or something, it would end up in a pile on the floor of the passthru. I did add a teak lip to the counter but this seemed to cure the symptom but not the problem.
On the internet I found this Karzan Foam, U tube videos and all. I purchased a 2' x 4' x 1 3/4" sheet of it from Rockler for around $15. The thickness works out great for the space under the pass thru counters I also made a cut out piece in the sheet to access the Starboard diesel tank access panel. What you see in the picture took me about 2 1/2 hours to cut in the tools. They trace out nicely after you choose your lay out with a narrow cheapy wall covering knife from Ace hardware.
The other side is still in progress but I am including a low profile socket organizer I found from Amazon (organizes by size of socket, not the "drive" size). Screw drivers and larger wrenches will also fill out the other side. If I run out of room I may try doors in front of the open cubby above the counter on the left. I saw another video the other day where the Karzan Foam can be placed verticly and when you cut the tools in snug they don't fall out... cool. That would good for extra credit from the Admiral as that cubby is another collection point of junk in plain view. The plastic laminate for the doors I have from doing over the AC electric panels above the right side of counter. I believe it was a "Parkwood " (manufacture) plastic laminate I found got real close to the original color plastic laminate.

Hope this gives food for pondering on the subject.

Regards
Dave Irwin
S/V Comfort
Boston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #2473 by Edward Schwiebert
Replied by Edward Schwiebert on topic Pass Thru Tool Organization
Do you have photos? Thanks.

More
3 years 10 months ago #2475 by David Irwin
Replied by David Irwin on topic Pass Thru Tool Organization
Sorry I thought they went thru on the first try.
How about this?

Dave Irwin
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gerry O'Donoghue

More
3 years 10 months ago #2477 by Edward Schwiebert
Replied by Edward Schwiebert on topic Pass Thru Tool Organization
Thank you, that helps! My only problem is I have so many tools on board I would have to fill Gratitude with foam to store them all.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds