removing cockpit floor

More
8 years 8 months ago #1163 by Vincent LoRusso
removing cockpit floor was created by Vincent LoRusso
I may need to remove the sole of the cockpit and helm to instal a new gen/set. Does any have experience in this area?

Thank You,
Vincent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #1164 by Robert Slais
Replied by Robert Slais on topic Re:removing cockpit floor
Hi Vincent,
We installed a Westerbeke genset on the port side of the engine room without removing the cockpit floor. I fabricated saw horses from Home Depot kits so that I could put planking athwartships below the forward companionway, along the walk through, and finally over the Perkins. We lowered the generator with two block and tackles attached to the boom, and rolled the unit on pipes to about where it would finally sit. We removed the floor of the cockpit lazerette and suspended the generator from the main boom while disassembling the planking and saw horses. It was a tight fit over the Perkins, but it did eventually make it through. I hope this saves you some trouble. Bob Slais

More
8 years 8 months ago #1165 by john bozeman
Replied by john bozeman on topic Re:removing cockpit floor
I recently replaced an onan mjde 7.5, I removed the scews that holds the cockpit sole in place ,disconnect the throttle cable/shut-off cable, remove steering wheel, de pressurize hydrolic steering,disconnect lines,mark these before you disconnect, fortunately there were enough wiring that would allow to tilt the helm ,floor and then tie it offto the starbord winch.
using a long arm fork lift was able to remove the old a replace with a phasor10kw(little overkill) but smaller& lighter weight, Had to change wiring ,muffler, exaust size,water intake,
I used the sound shield from the onan (fit perfect after a minor alteration).Good luck!

More
8 years 7 months ago #1179 by John Meskauskas
Replied by John Meskauskas on topic Re:removing cockpit floor
Vincent, you may have made your decision already, but here goes. On hull #2, I removed a genset and engine at the same time. I took off the hardtop, drained and disconnected the hydraulics from the helm down. The wiring would have been an issue but I was going to replace it all anyway. I unbolted the helm off the floor, and removed all the floor-holding machine screws. On my boat, the floor screws were just tapped into the fiberglass- no nuts. The floor was sealed with foam tape insulation so it cameup easily. This entire process took maybe half a day as I remember it.

We backed the boat into a slip with solid land access, brought in a boom truck, and less than 2 hours later had the hardtop off, the engine and genset on my trailer. I wouldn't do it any other way because I think this is the safest method. Building an internal railway, while certainly it has its positives, takes the chance that a heavy piece of equipment might fall.

John

More
8 years 7 months ago #1181 by Vincent LoRusso
Replied by Vincent LoRusso on topic Re:removing cockpit floor
Thank you very much! Several of my questions have been cleared up. However my resources are limited as I'm at a floating dock in Italy and doing the job totally alone. My wife won't even be there when I sail to where the gen/set is being shipped.

I do hear you and will try to follow your suggestions / method once I see what is available to me and I'm looking for a good helper.

Again Thank you very much,

Vincent LoRusso

More
8 years 7 months ago #1183 by Vincent LoRusso
Replied by Vincent LoRusso on topic Re:removing cockpit floor
Gentelman,

I hope to use a combination of methods to install my new 4kw Northern Lights. Mainly I plan on dismantling the removing generator the power from the diesel end and the drip pan. Hopefully this process will make it a bit easier to install through the starboard lazerett and not have to completely removing the cockpit soul.

If anyone has thoughts on this approach please let me know.

Thank You,
Vincent LoRusso

More
8 years 7 months ago #1190 by Deborah Streeter
Replied by Deborah Streeter on topic Re:removing cockpit floor
Vincent,
Worked for us! With our first generator, which was smaller, we removed the walls/floor of the cockpit sail locker and using the boom (with the topping lift AND halyard attached to the end of the boom for backup) and block and tackle slipped the generator into the engine room.
With the last version of our generator Lew used the same method, but slipped the motor part in first and then the generator part of the generator and attached them in the engine room. Not as convenient, but do-able.

Free N Clear
Whitby 42, #70

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds