Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mast leak on Brewer 44

Mast leak on Brewer 44 1 year 6 months ago #2792

• GinoDelG
  • Thank you received: 5
We have a Brewer 44. Lately the area where the mast enters the cabin has begun to leak. The area around the mast itself is well sealed. I think its coming from the metal collar around the mast. Any suggestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mast leak on Brewer 44 1 year 6 months ago #2794

• Msmolek
  • Thank you received: 4
I chased a mast leak for months. Resealed the mast boot, re-bedded the mast collar, etc. Still leaked. Finally discovered a small vertical crack in the mast track at the deck. Apparently someone had driven a mast wedge in the track where the aluminum is thin. I used some JB Weld (aluminum) to seal. I have in-mast mainsail furling so my mast track at the deck is quite wide.

Mast leak on Brewer 44 1 year 6 months ago #2795

We had a similar leak that we chased for about a year. When we finally had the mast pulled we found the metal collar had deteriorated where we couldn’t see unless the mast was pulled. We replaced the plate and had a fiberglass plate made with drainage channels. The rigger also sealed around the mast with a liquid product (can’t remember the name) that then set hard to stabilize mast which replaced the mast wedges. We have had no issues for 5 years now and several thousand miles around the Caribbean.

Mast leak on Brewer 44 1 year 6 months ago #2796

• GinoDelG
  • Thank you received: 5
Stargazer, I’d like to talk further on the phone. Please email me with a convenient time and number. I’m currently in Woods Hole, MA. Ginodelg(at)mac.com
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds