Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Replacement Hatches

Replacement Hatches 1 month 3 weeks ago #2746

I am getting ready to order replacement hatches for our Whitby. We would like to replace all 3, over the galley, in the main salon and in the v berth. Can anyone who has done this before tell me what sizes and make to order? They do not seem to be a standard size and I was hoping that there are drop in replacements available.
Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Replacement Hatches 1 month 3 weeks ago #2747

Have you checked out the Atkins and Hoyle site? We've purchased the gaskets from them in the past.

www.atkinshoyle.com/products/hatches-and-ports.html

Cindy Ann
SV Red Ranger
CA
S/V Red Ranger

Replacement Hatches 1 month 3 weeks ago #2748

• davidirwin
  • Thank you received: 3
If you call Bomar directly the center hatch and V birth hatch as I am sure the galley are still available for manufacture. It takes something like six or eight weeks to get them but hold on to your hat there are about $1,700 each.
Bomar makes a similar hatch that you see now on Catalina's and is available for about $500. But you have to alter the opening increasing it buy a boat 3/16 of an inch in both directions. I made a square template with half inch okume for the hole and a top bearing bit with the router to alter it. The old hatch is just a surface mounted affair. The new hatches have a frame with a leg that goes down into the boat and that is why you have to alter the opening.
It is a much lighter frame with thinner acrylic than the original. Not nearly as robust. You do land up with some fiberglass work on the curb as the corners of the newer hatch do not cover the old footprint of the older version. A peekaboo in the corners has to be filled.

Replacement Hatches 1 month 3 weeks ago #2750

Hi,

We recently replaced the Galley and 2 Forward Deck hatches with Lewmar hatches. Some minor work was needed to increase aperture in the Deck for the forward hatches.

The following sizes are what you need:

Galley - size 30, price $386

Fwd x2 - size 60, price $470 each

(prices current at Defender)

Cheaper, I think, than the Bowman equivalent.

Very happy with the look and quality!
Attachments:
Peter C Hughes
SV AMARAI
W42 #061
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds