Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Center Hatch Coaming Construction - Hatch Leaks

Center Hatch Coaming Construction - Hatch Leaks 2 years 5 months ago #2620

• wkweigel
  • Thank you received: 3
We have a minor leak in our main salon hatch. I believe it is leaking between the aluminum hatch frame and the fiberglass coaming. I plan to pull it up and re-bed it soon but I am wondering if I will find moisture in the deck core. More specifically, does anyone know if the coaming is fiberglass where it goes through the deck? Or, did the builder just cut an opening through the cored deck and leave the coring exposed.

The inside of my hatch is trimmed out with teak going from the inside ceiling all the way to the aluminum frame so I can not tell what it behind it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Center Hatch Coaming Construction - Hatch Leaks 2 years 5 months ago #2621

I pulled mine last month on Wanderlust (hull #93) and it is a solid combing, not a cut out with exposed core. The wood trim was just glued on the edges. I removed the outer wood trim, lightly sanded the gelcoat, and wiped down with acetone. Now, the hatch is likely to have rounded corners and the combing is built with sharp corners leaving a little gap. This can be easily filled with West System and high density filler or whatever your favorite flavor is. I used a double layer of butyl tape on the frame and reseated.

It's a relative easy fix and up to you if you want to continue using the outer wood trim.

Center Hatch Coaming Construction - Hatch Leaks 1 year 10 months ago #2731

Has anyone replaced the "glass" in your hatches or figured out any treatment o restore them?

Center Hatch Coaming Construction - Hatch Leaks 1 year 10 months ago #2732

• GinoDelG
  • Thank you received: 5
There is a company in Connecticut that replaced the gaskets and glass in three of our hatches and polished everything up beautifully. They look like new. I just removed the hatches (easy) mailed them in, and a few weeks later they were ready. I don’t remember the name but they advertise in Good Old Boat magazine. It cost a few hundred bucks per hatch, but I think it was worth it.

Center Hatch Coaming Construction - Hatch Leaks 1 year 10 months ago #2733

• CaymanPete
  • Thank you received: 2
The old Bomar’s were dated and leaky, and needed re-bedding on their coamings, so I bit the Bullet and replaced all 3 hatches forward of the cockpit.
Total cost:
1xLewmar 30 (Galley/Cockpit) $120 (nearly new).
2xLewmar 60 (Deck aft/Deck fwd of main mast) $400 each.

Removing the old hatches was not easy, and removed some of the glass and fill in some areas (previously bedded down with 5200 or equivalent!). I bedded the new ones down with 4200 fast cure after filling and fairing with my new best friend l, Everglass.

If anyone is interested, I have a spare (new Lewmar 60 Medium profile) for sale, as I’m not replacing my hatch over the aft cabin. Email me for details.

Regards,
Peter
AMARAI
W42 #61
Peter C Hughes
SV AMARAI
W42 #061

Center Hatch Coaming Construction - Hatch Leaks 1 year 10 months ago #2734

• CaymanPete
  • Thank you received: 2
Sorry, Double posted an image - here is another (galley/cockpit hatch).

Peter
AMARAI
WB42
Attachments:
Peter C Hughes
SV AMARAI
W42 #061

Center Hatch Coaming Construction - Hatch Leaks 1 year 10 months ago #2735

I replaced the "glass" on the Hatch above the galley. I got replacement "glass" from neighborhood glass store, it's even tinted. Very easy fix, I took old "glass" in and they created another to match. I can't remember the name of the product by I'm sure if you asked they'll have what you need.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds