Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Brewer 12.8 sloop rig. what is the mast stepped ?

Brewer 12.8 sloop rig. what is the mast stepped ? 2 years 5 months ago #2615

• Martin123
  • Thank you received: 2
I just got word that my mast has slipped down about 4 inches. ! Does anyone know what the mast is stepped on and any concerns re fixing it ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Brewer 12.8 sloop rig. what is the mast stepped ? 2 years 5 months ago #2616

• Msmolek
  • Thank you received: 4
My 12.8 has the mast stepped on a cast aluminum mast step plate which sits on a large block (4-6”tall) of some kind of wood (probably oak). The block sits directly on the fiberglass in the bilge between the tanks My boat has in-mast furling and so may not be the same as others as the mast may have been replaced?? The mast leaks some so there is some surface degradation of the wood on mine but an ice pick suggests it is ok for now. I intend to replace the wood block with a block of fiberglass when the mast comes out in the future. The block of wood has the lower corners removed along each side by a diagonal cut. These cuts are supposed to act as limber holes to allow bilge water to drain around/under the block of wood. Mine are inadequately sized and are easily clogged trapping water around the block of wood. So the wood may not be as solid as it appears. This a difficult area to inspect and work on because of the table cabinet. Good luck. Please let us know what you find. Mike Smolek, Hawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martin123

Brewer 12.8 sloop rig. what is the mast stepped ? 2 years 5 months ago #2617

• Martin123
Thanks for the input. I will post what we find.

Brewer 12.8 sloop rig. what is the mast stepped ? 2 years 4 months ago #2642

• Martin123
Mike thanks for your very helpful input. The mast was stepped exactly as you described. In my case the wood had deteriorated a lot and the mast was resting on 4 x 3/8 stainless lag bolts that had connected the '' wooden spacer pad'' to the Aluminum Step plate. We pulled the mast and lag bolted a 2'' Teak block (with a 1'' square drain hole) to the hull and then set a a made up 4 inch Teak block on that. A total of 6 inches of Teak block spaced it out very well Neither rot nor insects like Teak so I hope this will be a permanent fix.
It was a ''bitch'' to get at as the ''Aluminum step plate is larger than the mast and although it is theoretically possible to split the mast just above the sole but that approach did not work so I cut the Sole. Having bitten that ''bullet'' I am ''fibre glassing'' my water tanks, pulling the leaky discontinued 50 gallon diesel tank from under the galley and installing a new Teak sole. The newSole will have access to the mast step.
As they say ''bring out another thousand''

Brewer 12.8 sloop rig. what is the mast stepped ? 2 years 4 months ago #2643

• Msmolek
Thanks for the follow up post! Glad that it worked out but I am sure it wasn’t easy at all. Removing the center fuel tank seems like it is going to be even more of a challenge. Do you plan to put back a tank of some sort? Re: water tanks. My water tanks had some corrosion on the inside so I coated the interiors with an epoxy that is potable in small water tanks. This was not easy to find because most epoxy water tank coatings are rated as potable only in huge volume tanks, such as municipal water tanks. I coated the interiors putting fiberglass tape in the corners to seal the welds and strengthen the corners. If you consider doing this to the tank interiors, I got the epoxy from epoxyproducts.com. It is LiquaTile 1172. Not easy but the tanks are much stronger now because some of the baffles had broken free and the epoxied fiberglass tape fixed that problem too. I had to cut some new access holes and used the clear circular plastic watertight Beckson deck plates.

Brewer 12.8 sloop rig. what is the mast stepped ? 2 years 3 months ago #2661

• Martin123
Such epoxies are only freely available in the states. Hard to ship them as cannot go by air and small shipments by sea or mail often do not get through to Honduras where the boat is. We are reinforcing with sheet aluminum any damaged areas and covering the whole tanks with two coats of fibreglass matte. That together with a good scrub inside of everything we can reach will have to suffice. We will filter all drinking water tho.
Yes that 50 gallon fuel tank is a challenge but Mr Sawzall is the answer. Fortunately we are doing a major refit so I am shedding few tears and leaving most details to the fitter doing the job.

What ports do you have on your boat, are they Atkins and Hoyle, if so do you have a source for the through hull screws that attach them. One female one male both philips round heads about 1.25 inches long

Brewer 12.8 sloop rig. what is the mast stepped ? 2 years 3 months ago #2663

• Msmolek
I installed Newfound Metal SS ports. Lots of people have used them. I really like them. The screens cost extra. If you go that route, rent their template and get a small router. Messy job and not cheap. BTW the cabin side thickness varied as much as 1/2 “ on my boat.

Brewer 12.8 sloop rig. what is the mast stepped ? 2 years 3 months ago #2664

• Msmolek
On the NewFound Metal ports you should order the screws with the ports. They have various sizes available. I ended up ordering several sizes. But I could have cut them down to size. I think they may be metric. On the NFM ports the screws screw into threaded caste receivers on the inside of the outside half of the port, so no nuts are needed. The exteriors are flush. I also replaced my large aluminum side window frames with SS frames and I ordered the screws and SS barrel nuts from Graingers.
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds