Ft Myers Yacht and Ship is rotten plumbing/safety

More
2 years 10 months ago #2577 by George Myers
I'm redoing the seacocks and hoses on my 1983 Brewer 12.8. What Ive found -surely from the original build --is nothing short of criminal! First off- there are no Thru-Hulls! Yes you heard me correct- NO THRU HULLS!!!!!!!!!! The idiots at Ft Myers Yacht and Ship simply screwed a plastic coupling type fitting to the Wilcox Crittenen seacock after first sawing a oversize hole in the hull . Then they caulked it flush with the outer skin of the hull. This relied entirely on the caulking at the bottom flange base of the seacock for watertight integrity. AMAZING HUH! Just whoever in hell has done this anywhere on earth???? Then we go to the design-- the seacocks for the cockpit drains are 2inch diameter. Sounds good eh? However the drans feeding them only have an opening one of less than 1 inch!! Fantastic EH??? Next up is the starboard deck drain which happens to drain 1/2 the area footprint of the whole boats area. Size of hose is 1 1/4 diameter. Cool eh? However it is connected (and connected very weirdly) to a 3/4 seacock!!! However just at the seacock another 3/4 hose from the seat drain is connected!!! So its 1 1/4 + a 3/4 going to a 3/4 seacock!!!!!!! Am I missing something here????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #2579 by Michael Smolek
Replied by Michael Smolek on topic Ft Myers Yacht and Ship is rotten plumbing/safety
Nope not missing anything. My starboard seacock is 1" rather than 3/4, but still too small, slow to drain and easily clogged. One other problem I had was low areas in the hoses which held water which froze in the winter while on the hard. Water backed up on deck and froze. Also on my boat they used a lot of plastic fittings in the blackwater piping beyond the sea cocks but still below water level. Plumbing appears not to have been their strong suit.

More
2 years 10 months ago #2580 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Ft Myers Yacht and Ship is rotten plumbing/safety
Yes- had PVC elbows to hoses going to and from seacheast/strainer.

More
2 years 10 months ago #2581 by Edward Watson
Replied by Edward Watson on topic Ft Myers Yacht and Ship is rotten plumbing/safety
Not all of the Ft Myers boats were this bad, but they were all built to a Price point.
In the later years, that Price point was lowered and they started making the different models from the Whitby mold. You also may be following a PO that did not know or care.
I bought a Canadian boat in 1995, and there were still some of the craftsmen around Ft Myers that had worked on the whitbys built there, they were a wealth of info and ideas. Most are gone now.

My boat had all the thruhulls faired with bondo by a PO in Puerto Rico, that was a mess too.
Heat will break the thruhulls free to turn them out, and I use a socket that fits in the thruhull and grind slots in it to fit the lugs tightly. It makes it easy to install them too.

After lapping the thruhulls I used a 50/50 mix of Neverseeze and grease, after twenty years they all still open and close with one hand.

#306 New Hope

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #2582 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Ft Myers Yacht and Ship is rotten plumbing/safety
Read my lips! "THERE WERE NO THRU HULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing to heat or turn!!!!!!
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by George Myers.

More
2 years 10 months ago #2583 by Edward Watson
Replied by Edward Watson on topic Ft Myers Yacht and Ship is rotten plumbing/safety
Then you are probably dealing with something done by a Previous Owner.

Ft Myers boats may have had some 'cut corners' to meet a price, but I have never heard of anything dealing with a safety concern.

Maybe some other Ft Myers boats would care to chime in on this one.

More
2 years 10 months ago #2585 by George Myers
Even the cheapest houseboat ever built has thru hulls--- Not this Brewer 12.8 just look at the attached photo of the removed seacocks. See the plastic junk screwed into the bottom!
Attachments:

More
2 years 10 months ago #2586 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Ft Myers Yacht and Ship is rotten plumbing/safety
George

Very interesting. They went to the expense of installing WC sea-cocks and obviously bolted them into the hull. Obviously they were out of through hulls at the time and some genius came up with the solution of installing plastic pipe as a work around. Maybe with the intention of installing proper through hulls later (I'm giving yards more credit that they generally deserve). This is why I recommend a full survey of even new build boats. This should have been picked up by even a cursory inspection of the hull. It does show the benefit of having your sea-cocks bolted through the hull that this worked for 30+ years.

Anyone owners concerned should just take a swim over the side and feel for the mushroom flange which in proud of the hull. I doubt that this practice is widespread.

Just for anyone following this thread, this is a through hull.
Attachments:

More
2 years 10 months ago #2587 by George Myers
You may be correct-- However to install and caulk they sawed a larger hole than required---- the new marelon thru hulls have only a 1/8 grip all around the hole. BTW-- "built to a price point" translation generally means "Hope you die at sea" LOL

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds