Wilcox critteden Seacocks

More
2 years 11 months ago #2562 by George Myers
Wilcox critteden Seacocks was created by George Myers
I'm getting ready to change out all my original W-C seacocks for Marelon ones. Anyone know just how the original bolts go? Are they thru hull with head on outside? Thanks, George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #2563 by Roy Belcher
Replied by Roy Belcher on topic Wilcox critteden Seacocks
George,
I replaced my two cockpit scuppers with new bronze seacocks - cost me $2,500! The old had to be cut out with a sawzall as the threaded, outer mushroom was frozen and could not be turned. Are the WC leaking?

Roy

More
2 years 11 months ago #2564 by Michael Smolek
Replied by Michael Smolek on topic Wilcox critteden Seacocks
That is how mine are attached on my 12.8. They are large flat head, slotted bronze bolts.

I looked at changing out the big green WC seacocks, but was concerned that some are in tight spaces with difficult hose routing. I was concerned, maybe wrongly, that I wouldn't be able to reproduce some routing with different sized seacocks. In the end, I dismantled the WCs, mechanically cleaned off as much of the green as I could. Then cleaned with vinegar/water solution, and judicious use of muriatic acid, neutralized with baking powder. Then I clear-coated them in the hopes the green wouldn't come back (for at least a week). I replaced the rusty steel grease fitting with ss grease fittings and lapped the plugs using lapping compound.

More
2 years 11 months ago #2565 by Robert Strickland
Replied by Robert Strickland on topic Wilcox critteden Seacocks
Yes, flat slotted bronze bolts. They are fared over, so you need to uncover them with a grinder. An impact wrench makes loosening the bolts easier, but not easy. A thru hull wrench with a large cresent wrench and extender to break the thru hull free of the seacocks. Sometimes the head of the thru hull can be ground off easier.
Dee. Allegria 199

More
2 years 11 months ago #2566 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic Wilcox critteden Seacocks
Thanks everyone. Marelon website says they do not require bolts to be installed in their Seacocks flanges. I'm going to cut old ones off flush with inside hull.

More
2 years 11 months ago #2567 by George Myers
OK OK ! D Day just 10 days away now . So there are many thru hull wrenches available but cant find any for old Wilcox thru hulls. I just want to unscrew them so the seacock can then be unbolted and removed. I don t want to remove the entire bolt and have to repair 27 holes thru the hull! Anyone know of a technique or wrench to fit into W-C thru hulls???

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #2568 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Wilcox critteden Seacocks
Sorry George, If your seacocks are like the one on this photo the bolts have to come out. Just take the nut off the inside and whack them outwards. You will have to patch the holes.

I use the handle of an adjustable pipe wrench to hold the outside mushroom, big enough to engage the lugs on the inside. I would do this before I undo the the bolts above. You will need lots of leverage. If you find that it won't move then just grind off the mushroom flange on the outside, then undo the bolts and bash off the seacock inside the hull.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Gerry O'Donoghue.

More
2 years 11 months ago #2569 by George Myers
They are like that. However The builder made a 3/4 + pad of flat fiberglass inside the hull around the seacock area so the hull where the bolts are is extra thick -probably 1 1/4- 1 1/2
so after cutting them flush with top of the aforementioned pad I'm going to fair some epoxy glue over the stubs. I'm also set to use some custom tools to remove the thru hulls. I have a 8 inch long X 1/2 inch thick X 1 1/2 wide steel bar with the 1 1/2 diameter curve ground into the edge corners so it fits vey snug 3 inches up into the thru hulls bearing on the nibs inside the thru hull --then will heat the thru hull to get it real warm with a propane torch-- put a large crescent wrench with a pipe extender on the steel bar and attempt to unscrew the thru hull from the seacock. Once that is out the seacock can be unbolted from the hull . I hope this works I will report back. G

More
2 years 10 months ago #2578 by George Myers
SORRY FOLKS _ THERE WERE NO THRU HULLS!! see my new post!

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds