New centerboard specs

More
3 years 5 months ago #2468 by Malcolm Oliver
New centerboard specs was created by Malcolm Oliver
Hello,
I recently purchased a Brewer 12.8. Formerly Omega. Now named Orion. Hull #12
My centerboard seems to have disappeared.
Somewhere off the coast of Mass is my guess.
At any rate.
I'm planning on replacing it. Does anyone have experience doing this. I've got the original blueprints so I think I'm ok on the specs, but wondering if anyone has any tips. I wrote to Ted Brewer to ask if he had a redesigned system for raising it, and he didn't have any ideas on how to modify what Fort Meyers did. I want to put shims either on the board or in the trunk to keep it from banging around, but am not sure of the best way to go about that. At this point I"m planning on having the work done on Tortola at Nanny Cay, but could put it off for awhile if I had a better option.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Malcolm on Orion
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #2469 by Jack Dexter
Replied by Jack Dexter on topic New centerboard specs
Greetings. I owned a Brewer 12.8, hull number 252 for 6 years. I had shims added to the board. They were slightly wedge shaped and when the board was pulled all the way up they stopped the board from hitting the inside of the trunk.

Hope that helps.

Jack

More
3 years 5 months ago #2470 by Edwin (Ted) Bovill
Replied by Edwin (Ted) Bovill on topic New centerboard specs
We have a Brewer 44 #304. We lost our centerboard off the Atlantic side of Black Point in the Bahamas in 2013. Terry Temperly gave us Tony Pocklington's name. He has the original molds for the B44 centerbard. He made a new centerboard which was identical to the original. his contact information is:

Tony Pocklington
Charlotte Harbor Boatyard
Email: captiva_24@yahoo.com
Phone: 941 828 0216

My email is: Edwin.bovill@gmail.com

Happy to assist if you have questions.

Edwin (Ted) Bovill
S/v Rosa dos Ventos

More
3 years 5 months ago #2471 by Scott Lee
Replied by Scott Lee on topic New centerboard specs
Forwarding this message for Terry Temperly. He is currently crewing on someone else's boat in the Carribean and is short on Internet access and a little busy. I think he has not yet seen Ted's response above as I think it may be them he is referring to...

I replaced mine. Pocklington brothers had the mold in 2004, maybe still do. They did one for the people from Vermont (pair of doctors) a couple.years ago. about $4000.
I CAN HELP LATER.

More
3 years 5 months ago #2474 by Edward Schwiebert
Replied by Edward Schwiebert on topic New centerboard specs
I am at the CHBS yard now and will be happy to speak with Tony if you are interested. Please PM me with a phone number to call. Van

More
3 years 5 months ago #2476 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic New centerboard specs
Malcolm

Have you seen this thread? George has been through the process. Send me an e-mail and I will forward it to him, in case he isn't monitoring the board.

www.whitbybrewersailboats.com/forum/11-c...oard-drama-continued

Gerry
whitby42 "at" gmail.com

More
3 years 5 months ago #2478 by Edwin (Ted) Bovill
Replied by Edwin (Ted) Bovill on topic New centerboard specs
This an addendum to my previous post 2days ago regarding our experience replacing our centerboard by Tony Pocklington. Our centerboard was replaced in 2013. Tony was excellent to work with. We had the new board installed at Journeys End Marina in Rockland ME. Tony made all the transport arrangements. We received the board with one coat of epoxy barrier coat. Tony sent the original ss hardware (which he had since the Fort Meyers boat yard closed in 1990) to attach to the centerboard lift line. Rockland has a superb machine shop where we had a new centerboard lift line fastener fashioned so that we would be certain of the grade of ss. We had to drill out the hole for the pivot shaft and epoxyed a cylindrical plastic tube into the hole for the shaft to pass through. I believe Tony sent the cylindrical plastic tube with the board. We have Ted Brewers original drawings for the B44/Whitby. The drawings include detailed instructions for locating the pivot point, diameter of the hole etc. We used ss shaft steel for the pivot shaft. Having the board out gave us an unusual opportunity to inspect etc the entire CB compartment. Finally, we had the pivot shaft sealed with epoxy at both ends because the original shaft, which was lost with the board in the Bahamas, had threaded brass covers at each end screwed into what appeared to be a plastic tube . We believe we lost the board because one of these covers came off. The threads accepting the brass covers were worn down on both sides.

More
3 years 5 months ago #2479 by Malcolm Oliver
Replied by Malcolm Oliver on topic New centerboard specs
Thanks so much for your help with the centerboard. Checking out the various options now. I have an email in to Tony to see if that is the way to go.

More
3 years 5 months ago #2480 by Malcolm Oliver
Replied by Malcolm Oliver on topic New centerboard specs
If you could give me a call I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Malcolm
303-718-1621

More
3 years 5 months ago #2484 by George Myers
Replied by George Myers on topic New centerboard specs
Hello from Geoleo- Yes Pocklington made me a good new centerboard 2 years ago. I also had yard raise centerboard "shoe"by 12 inches so the wide pat of the board was opposite the 3 inch wide board when raised. This kept the board from making noise when raised all the way. Works great!

More
3 years 5 months ago #2485 by George Myers
Now if one of you B12.8 owner could just tell me where the negative cable for the starboard electric winch originates I would be happier. Thanks

More
3 years 5 months ago #2486 by George Myers
I also made a 20 inch long winch handle for the centerboard winch. Works great!

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds