Hull Design and Specs on a Brewer 44 (1988)

More
4 years 5 months ago #2229 by Scott Erwin
Hull Design and Specs on a Brewer 44 (1988) was created by Scott Erwin
Hi All,

I am trying to find out the specification of how the hulls were built on the lat 80's Brewer 44s

The specs I found talk a lot about balsa cores on the decks and hull but it wasn't clear about the hull below the water line.

The Brewer 44 is on the top of my list for a purchase but if it has a balsa core hull I will probably move on to a different boat.

Anyone, anyone......?

Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #2233 by Edward Schwiebert
Replied by Edward Schwiebert on topic Hull Design and Specs on a Brewer 44 (1988)
I do not have the specs handy (and even then I am not sure I will find anything I "know") but (1) when I have made holes below the water line for keel coolers, the entire plug was fiberglass, about 1.25"-1.5" thick and (2) I may see the owner of the FMY yard and will ask him. We love our Brewer 44!

More
4 years 5 months ago #2235 by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
Replied by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio on topic Hull Design and Specs on a Brewer 44 (1988)
We also love our B44. I'm not sure of the below waterline construction, but I can say overall construction is very solid. Also, I've never heard problems with below waterline core. However, balsa core is sometimes a problem on the decks, and I do know of at least one B44 that had wet deck core, especially forward of the mast. If looking for a B44, do a thorough inspection of the deck. Check out Windtraverler.com for a discussion of their problems.

More
4 years 5 months ago #2236 by Matt Davis
Replied by Matt Davis on topic Hull Design and Specs on a Brewer 44 (1988)
Yes, it is very solid below waterline...approx 1.25-1.50 inches. Decks are balsa cored. We had soft spot around the area above the vberth deck prism, as it was never perfectly sealed and did lead to a soft spot. We ran over a massive tree in Banderas Bay last February- After cruising the rest of the season, I was nervous to see what we would find on the haul out. The end result was the loss of a little bit of bottom paint below the dolphin striker.

Love our boat and have not experienced any other boat envy to this date! Except maybe a Leopard 47.

Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #2237 by Edward Schwiebert
Replied by Edward Schwiebert on topic Hull Design and Specs on a Brewer 44 (1988)
I confirmed with the former owner of FMY that the Brewers are solid glass below the water line and either balsa or foam cell depending on time of build and customer order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Lee

More
4 years 5 months ago #2239 by Scott Erwin
Replied by Scott Erwin on topic Hull Design and Specs on a Brewer 44 (1988)
Elshwieb,
I am assuming your statement of foam or balsa core you mentioned was in the hull sides above the water line and deck. correct?

Thanks everyone! It looks like the Brewer continues to be on the top of my list. I am looking to purchase in CA in 2017. I am planning an extended Pacific voyage. If your selling yours in a couple of years please contact me at wscotterwin@yahoo.com. Thanks

More
4 years 5 months ago #2240 by Edward Schwiebert
Yes, solid glass below waterline, balsa or foam core above waterline, balsa in decking. Good luck!

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds