Bilge Upgrade on B44

• Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
  • Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #2224 by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
Bilge Upgrade on B44 was created by Gino & Carolyn Del Guercio
I hate my bilge. It's too deep and the paint on the bottom is peeling and cracked. I'm thinking of making a new floor for it of marine plywood encased in fiberglass and epoxied into place. The floor will slope slightly toward the center and at the center there will be a small depression to collect bilge water so that I can pump out the entire bilge and keep it dusty dry. The floor will be composed of two layers of 3/4 inch plywood, so it will be raised up 1.5 inches, which I think will make a big difference in reaching the bottom for cleaning. My plan is to install a small diaphragm pump set on a timer to pump out the small amount of water in the depression, then a Rule 1500 on the floor and a Rule 3700 raised about 3 inches off the floor. I will also have a manual bilge pump and a high water alarm.

Can anyone see any problems with this plan? My only concern is the plywood construction, but I think if adequately encased in fiberglass the plywood won't rot. Also is there any chance the new floor could trap water under underneath and somehow cause problems. The Brewer 44, unlike the Whitby, does not have a keel fuel tank.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #2226 by Gerry O'Donoghue
Replied by Gerry O'Donoghue on topic Bilge Upgrade on B44
Hi Gino

I'm not a fan of plywood anywhere wet, even soaked in West System. Scroll way down here;

Bilge on TIH

I would pay some skinny kid to sand/scratch off some of the paint on the bottom of the existing bilge. Then follow the advise of the West System guys and pour in a mix of Play sand (as in kids sand boxes), West System and EXTRA slow hardener. Place a brick (covered in plastic so it comes out) in the middle to give you a sump.

Bob Strickland used river stones to reduce the amount of epoxy needed, but I don't think you need it.

Fuel Tank Repair

Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Gerry O'Donoghue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds